Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

working with depron/zepron sheets

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

working with depron/zepron sheets

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 12:34 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default working with depron/zepron sheets

I working on a CAD design for a jet styled pusher (40"-45" wing span) with Depron skins on the fuselage and probably Zepron on the wings. The intention is to produce a small run of kits, after design proveout on a prototype or two.
Having very little experience with these materials I have several questions. The immediate issue for the prototype is painting. I have heard that water based paints will work but have not heard any particular products mentioned. Has anyone got a specific recommendation?
Another issue is bending/shaping the foam sheets (2mm), especially on the wings. I will be trying a pizza cutter to score it at first. Any better methods?
Lastly, for the kit run, I need some way to print on the foam the outlines for cutting (dye-cutting is too $$ for a small run). Laser cutting might be an option... but with foam?
Printing on the sheets is also a way of creating the graphics without decals. The profile foamies I see are all printed but they look so cheap. This model is not a profile model and its looks should compete with normal builtup construction. I may have to go with pressure sensitive graphics to get a nice look.
I would appreciate any help you guys can come up with. I will also post this to a "foamies" thread.
Regards,
Allan