Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

solidworks

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 04:30 PM
troyhm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solidworks

hi everyone

is there a way of drawing a three deminsion part in solidworks, then take cross section cuts at certain intervals to give the dimension of the formers. I need to create. I am only new at solidworks and havent worked out even how to do 3 demension shapes. The front former is different shape and size to the rear and I am trying to creat both out of balsawood with longerons attached to formers then covered in 1.5mm balsawood or use foam and cut out the under side of the foam as well and cover with 1.5mm balsawood. Or even trying another method I saw on here covering with brown painting paper. I will try all three to see which comes out lightest and strongest.

Thanks

Troy
Old 12-02-2004, 10:16 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: solidworks

There is a Google group on-line for Solidworks users. I dial into a couple of the CAD grops, but not the one you need. They are slow, but helpful.

Wm.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:16 PM
jwalsh1

You may have to use a surface rather than a solid to so this, because Solidworks does not let you use the convert entities command to create a sketch of the edges in a cross section.

Create the object as a surface model and set up planes at each point you want to slice. I think you can then select one plane, and the surface and use the insert_curve_split line. This will create a sketch of the cross section that particular plane creates.

Now on second thought, try the above first with your solid model, it actually may work. Either way, the procedure is the same.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:17 PM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

I believe what you want to do is loft a solid between the two end formers. Cut the longeron slots into the solid and what ever other features you need.
You can then section the solid at whatever intervals you want. The end faces will then give you the bulkheads with all the longeron notches.
As an aside, I find parametric CAD programs less ideal for modeling purposes. The ACIS based programs such as KeyCreator allows you to work in wireframe, and convert to solids and reverse a little easier. Parametric programs are great for editing after the geometry is created.
Anything though is easier than trying to guess intermediate bulkhead shapes.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:27 PM
jwalsh1

Ok, I tried it with a solid and it doesnt work, but with a surface it will.

Try this with your solid model first though...

Create a plane above your geometry, make sure the plane doesnt intersect the geometry. Draw on this plane straight lines, one at each interval you are trying to measure. I think each of these lines will have to be a separate sketch though. Make sure the lines you draw extend beyond the edges of the geometry.

Once you have that, go to Insert_Curve_Split Line. Select projection. Select your line. Select your geometry. Hit ok. Now you have a line the wraps around your geometry in the places you want. Repeat for each section.

Even better yet!!!

It is also possible you can simply create a drawing of your model, and pull your model into that drawing. Within the drawing just specify a series of cross section lines and it will automatically create the cross section for that area. Place that wherever you want and dimension it or simply set it to full size and print.

HOpe all this helps.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:38 PM
jwalsh1

"You can then section the solid at whatever intervals you want. The end faces will then give you the bulkheads with all the longeron notches. "

You cant do this in Solidworks because it doesnt recognize cross sections in the model building area as "measurable" geometry. BUT, you can just create your model, however you want, and then create a drawing of it.

In the drawing view, simply create lines where you want your section views to be, then make them section lines. The software will automatically create the section view off of which you can then dimension whatever you want.

Thats the easiest method. Sorry for my rambling.

What is Key Creator? Ive never heard of it.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:37 PM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

Hi

KeyCreator is the new name for CadKey. It was bought out by a company called Kubotek, who changed the name and is (hopefully) pouring money into software and product developement.
I also use Solid Edge here, which I beleive is similar to Solid Works. I do 98% of my geometry developement on the KeyCreator and export into SolidEdge to take advantage of some of the detailing utilities (flange creation, draft angles, etc) that is cumbersome in KeyCreator.
I did design a trainer airplane in solids with the idea to cut the ribs and bulkheads on the laser at work. It took me so long that I got my wings and moved on to more advance planes before I even finished off the drawing. Sadly, a hard disk malfunction ended that excercise.