Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Sandable Glues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 01:29 AM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sandable Glues?

The Pica company used to have a type of white glue that was easier to sand than most others. With Pica out of buiseness are there any substitutes? I have to make up some balsa laminations that when sanded will end up exposing a fair bit of the glued area. These won't be structual joints, but will be visible under the covering so I'd like to have as clean a feather edge as possible.

Would adding micro balloons to white (i.e. Elmers aliphatic) be viable?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Mark D
Old 12-04-2004, 11:28 AM
the-plumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sandable Glues?

Titebond original formula is very close to Pica's Gluit. Use it all the time.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:16 PM
UH34D
My Feedback: (3)

The old style acetate glue like Ambroid or Testors are easy to sand. Just be sure you have good ventalation so you don't get wacky and the Missus doesn't throw you out of the house!
Jim
Old 12-04-2004, 04:54 PM
CafeenMan

I have never used sandable glues because my thinking is that the additive to make the glue sandable also makes it weaker. Titebond for internal joints and model airplane glue for external joints and especially joints in contest balsa. No sanding problems to speak of.

One thing to do is chisel off glue blobs before you sand so they don't break loose and put deep gouges in your wood work. Sand glue smears until they're gone. I really hate seeing glue in my work so I remove as much as possible when it's wet or when it's gelled.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:28 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I am nearly heartbroken to hear that Pica went out of business !!!

What a great great model company.

I have been using Gluit all day today. I am assembling wing skins for a Sig Bonanza, ( don't tell me they are gone too)

It is very much like Elmors, it even smells like Elmors. It is much more sandable than Ambroid. Perfect for skins.

Somebody has to try Elmors and see if it is the same.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:56 PM
CafeenMan

I'm sure the only reason Gluit is sandable is because they add industrial talc to it. Pour some Elmer's in a small bottle, add some talc and see if it works the same on some test scraps.