Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CAD help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Underaged Pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAD help

CAD stands for computer aided design but i cant get IMSI Turbo CAD to aid me in design
and how do you get the general shape
Old 12-14-2004, 03:32 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: CAD help

"Aided Design" is a misnomer. CAD is just a way to replace the pencil and paper with the computer and plotter. You still have to do the drawing and know what you want to draw. You gotta crunch the numbers and make the decisions just like the old days.

Drawing with CAD takes some time to learn.

A year or so ago I did a write up on the 13 key elements that I found were important to learning Turbocad. The rules would also help out folks learning to use any form of CAD. It's the 3rd post in the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Scratch_Building%2C_Aircraft_Design%2C_3D%2FCAD_FA Q/m_1941845/tm.htm]Scratch Building FAQ [/link] in the pinned thread up top in this section.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got some BUM information. CAD stands for Computer Aided Drafting.

Whoever told you that last letter was for design, needs to be straightened out.

There used to be a few CADD systems out there which were indicated as being Computer Aided Drafting/Design, but their abilities did not apply to aerodynamics. For the better part, even those commercials by trade schools on television always refer to drafting, not design.

Wm.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:16 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Blame Autodesk!

They toute their CAD packages ar desing software. It is a design tool, and an illustration tool as well. It is a fancy drawing program. Nothing more. Some engineering calculations as features, but that is about it..

design and dafting are interchangeable.

Real problem is that most get a CAD program, and think they are now a drafter...
Old 12-14-2004, 02:07 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BMatthews
"Aided Design" is a misnomer.
But, DesignCAD does have a command called, "Make Plane".

Dan
Old 12-14-2004, 04:42 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny guy... Let's see you FLY that plane!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:29 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

You got some BUM information. CAD stands for Computer Aided Drafting.

Whoever told you that last letter was for design, needs to be straightened out.

There used to be a few CADD systems out there which were indicated as being Computer Aided Drafting/Design, but their abilities did not apply to aerodynamics. For the better part, even those commercials by trade schools on television always refer to drafting, not design.

Wm.
In the *good ol days* guys would draw (draft) pictures of things that engineers, or they themselves would design. I have designed tons of stuff professionally. I could not begin to imagine how hard it would be to figure out some of the complex linkages I've done, without a powerful geometry calculator like AutoCAD.

I vote for *Computer Aided Design*

P.S.

I used to teach at one of those places that advertise on TV. Don't waste your money. Public community colleges (at least the ones in California) are a much better deal if you want to learn CAD/Drafting.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:41 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: Underaged Pilot

CAD stands for computer aided design but i cant get IMSI Turbo CAD to aid me in design
and how do you get the general shape
If you're interested in learning, check out http://www.cccco.edu/find/alphabetical.htm