Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Boeing/McDonnell- Douglas X-35 version

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Boeing/McDonnell- Douglas X-35 version

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 07:44 AM
HO-229

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boeing/McDonnell- Douglas X-35 version

Anyone interested in pictures of the Boeing/McDonnell- Douglas X-35 aircraft?
I drive by this aircraft twice a day, as it is on display at the Patuxent River Naval air test & evaluation Museum

As far as I know there was only two of these ever made, the spare I believe is in St. Louis, not sure what became of that one.
If interested drop a reply & I'll stop by the Museum & snap a few pictures.
The Lockheed Martin aircraft was an inferior design as it carries a lift fan (dead weight) not used in conventional flight
The McDonnell version had no such item.

(What the history channel said about the Boeing/McDonnell- Douglas version was allot of bull)

VSTOL aircraft do not typically take off vertically, they roll out at max power & use huge amounts of flaps as they are loaded down with (goodies) bombs & gas.
after they return (nice & light) they have excellent "power to weight" so vertical landings are not tasking.

HO-229
Old 12-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boeing/McDonnell- Douglas X-35 version

You have it backward. Probably just a typo, but the Lockheed-Martin plane is the X-35 (F-35 now) and the Boeing plane was the X-32.

I was hoping the X-32 would win, as an armchair observer, just because I thought it looked more interesting. I even did a basic CAD model of it, when I considered building one. ( http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/rc...movies/jsf.mov )

I'd like to see some more photos of the X-32, if you can post them.