Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

X Calibur

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 PM
SilverEagleBW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: X Calibur

Great idea Triangle,a Hacker motor would be the ticket!

Terry,question,will those Webra 120's run on 0% nitro like a Moki?

I also have the other two sheets done for for the light deal,i will send them to you tonight a bit later.I am down and out with some sort of stomach flu that will not go away,gotta crash right now!,hehe![:-]
Old 02-03-2005, 11:43 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

So far i don't have any experience with the Webra 120, i just bought one to power a bird i'm building that should come out at approx. 12 lbs. From what i've read it should make it a blast to fly at that weight. I would think that it probably doesn't need any more than 5%.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:15 AM
SilverEagleBW

Terry,i just sent you the last two sheets...
Old 02-04-2005, 12:19 AM
SilverEagleBW

Terry,From what i understand nitro is kind of hard to come by in Europe,so alot of the engines manufactured there ,like the Moki etc.are high compression little devils that require very little to no nitro.Gonna have to do some experimenting to see if that 120 will fly without nitro.Reason being i can get alky right where i live,glow fuel,welp,around a 170 mile round trip.[X(]
Old 02-04-2005, 08:32 AM
triangle
My Feedback: (3)

how much you think the light version will weight???? probably the new actro motors ( www.hobby-lobby.com ) a lot cheaper than hacker and more silent too ( outrunner) let me see if i can get the package together...... http://www.laserlizard.com/ seems to be pretty good on cutting dwg files any feedback on them??
Old 02-04-2005, 08:40 AM
triangle

the actro 32-3 w/Jeti Advance PLUS 77 Amp Opto Controller comes out to $462 plus probably another $200-$400 in batteries, thats if its under or at 10lbs.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:28 AM
SilverEagleBW

Triangle,,,,,All i can say is 'Light',somewhere around 10 maybe 11 pounds,maybe even lighter than that.There are a couple of other things that can be done to make it even lighter like using 3/32 or even(if you dare)1/16 balsa for the ribs,1/16 sheeting on the wing,omitting part number F-B and replacing it with 1/8 balsa sheet,and building all of the tail feathers with 3/8 sq. balsa(use interplane struts).Then using 1/8 lite ply for the firewall,that would be about as light as you can go with it.If you build it that way and be carefull flying the thing it won't blow apart in the sky on you.Oh yeah,if you got the money,carbon fiber wing tube and landing gear and wing spars.You can also change the 1/4 sq. spruce longeron to hard balsa on the fuse side,just make sure you have a 'Big' trash bag with you just in case.hehe!

These plans are what you would say are the 'prototype' of the plane,very close to what the plane is intended to be and do.As the plane is built and flown some revisions will be made to adjust for a correction in the design or to correct goof ups on the plans.I don't think there will be many if any at all.Time to build/fly/experiment and polish it up now.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:52 AM
triangle

I'm gonna probably build the gas version 1st, since i've got the motor already and then the electric one
Old 02-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I was at a model expo at the fairgrounds in Puyallup WA today and ran across a .50 size Katana. I was told by the company rep that their plane was strictly a 3-D design and was wondering how much modding it would take to make the X more of an aerobatic aircraft, or will it do aerobatics as designed?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:52 AM
SilverEagleBW

This plane should do 3D and also F3A aerobatics.I also have another wing design other than the two on the plans,i really want to build that wing and test it before i post it.Not quite sure what will happen on that one,could be a champ or could be a disaster in the making.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Boogie

ORIGINAL: Slade_LoD

Boogie,best to make a two piece wing if you want to keep the fairings.

This is what I have chosen to do.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 PM
blueberry

Hello,

Has any one started building yet.
I think these plans are awsome!

Thank you for your time in this Slade!

Pete
Old 02-12-2005, 07:51 PM
SilverEagleBW

BlueBerry,Thanks,,I am putting together the cut sheets for laser cutting right now.I will send them to Terry once i figure out how to do them correctly,DOH!,hehe!

Oh yeah,there are people building the plane right now.If you plan to and have any questions drop me an email.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 AM
paof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WAOO great job wonderfull plans .

katanaX Buenisimo.
PAOF.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

So Slade, any updates on the cowl, canopy and wheel pants for the Katana? Also for an FYI, I sent the plans to Climate Models for a cost estimate on laser cutting today. I will let you know the cost as soon as I get a reply. I didn't have a cut plan, so the price may be a little higher than it would be otherwise.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:14 AM
SilverEagleBW

Hydro,I have been down with some sort of flu here again,i have had this thing for the last six weeks more or less,NASTY!Needless to say i have fallen way behind on my planes due to the thing,GRRRR!I have a good part of the laser cut sheets done and will be sending them to Terry and Northeast Aerodynamics.Does Climate models have a 32 inch cutter?Northeast does,might want to use them because the root rib is around 30 inches long and i do not want to splice it using a 24 inch cutter.I should be done with them either this friday or saturday.

I have an artwork job i have to get done here by the middle of next week,after that i will be able to spend some time finishing the plugs for the cowl,canopy and wheel pants.I might be able to put this plane together in kit form here in the future using laser and cnc cut parts at a pretty reasonable price.Got to see how this thing flies first then make some changes to the design if needed.The plans will also be alot better than what is available for download,i can't keep my line points,text,etc. using DXF.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'll check with Climate on the 32" cutter. As far as everything else, there is no rush. As I tell my girlfriend, health comes before everything else, so.......................................

I now have a question for you. I just got back from Copy Max(a Kinko's clone). I was told that these "copy places" can't print as wide as your plans are drawn[sm=eek.gif] Would it be feasable to change the layout to fit a 36" printer? I did get the wing layout sheet printed, which shocked me on size. Being new to the large gassers, I wasn't expecting a sheet almost 100" long AFTER THE BORDERS WERE DELETED!!!!!!!! The printed sheet I did get came out totally AWESOME. I've got several other places I can try for printing the sheets in the present configuration, so I'm not defeated yet
Old 04-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Any updates on the cut sheets and glass parts yet? I have all the sheets printed and all I can say is WOW!!! Can hardly wait till I can get started on building.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:05 PM
bbt

Guys,

Here is the last Email I received from Slade:
... I am leaving RCU,i will no longer go there.I have received threatning emails from the person that posted my plans on Ebay with legal actions.Tell ya what,i put those plans up for members of RCU to use,now i am being threatned with legal action? Sorry,not worth my time ...
I respect Slade's choice. I just feel sorry we've lost a major contributor to our hobby.

For the scratch builders ... The plans quality is outstanding. I guess you will have to build this plane without the laser cut sheet and based on the information you grabbed so far.

BBT
Old 04-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Stiks

That is a real shame that Slade has decided to leave us. I was looking forward to more of his plans. Someone trys to do something good for this hobby and then greed attacks an individual who thought they were smart and would not get caught which in the end results in a loss for the rest of the modelling community. I am quite ashamed that this individual happens to come from the same country as I do. However I am glad to see that he is no longer selling any plans on ebay

Stiks
Old 04-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Hydro Junkie

BBT, Please convey my thanks to Slade for two excellent sets of plans and best wishes for the future. It's too bad someone had to take advantage of Slade's generosity and good will. I hope Slade will continue to design planes and make them available for sale to the public. If he were to sell plans in the future, I, for one, would be interested in buying them from him directly, as I feel he should get something for his time and labor. I will not be giving out either set of plans, in respect to Slade's decision to leave the forum. That also goes for your Spirit set I downloaded as well.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Stiks

I too have the three plans in the dxf format. I will keep them in this format for the time being in order to allow me to get them easily printed. However I will not be letting anyone else have them.

Stiks