Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Looking for recommendations on a 10" or 12" disc sander

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Looking for recommendations on a 10" or 12" disc sander

Old 12-30-2004, 12:24 PM
fprintf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for recommendations on a 10" or 12" disc sander

In my quest to fill my shop with tools I can use, one of the next things that comes to mind is a 10" or 12" disc/belt sander so I can finish, bevel or square the roots of my wingtips before vacuum bagging them. There are lots of brands of disc sanders from Chicago Power Tools (harbor freight) to Jet Woodworking (expensive and heavy!) to Proxxon (also expensive). Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with the various brands of sanders that would care to make a recommendation?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:30 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Looking for recommendations on a 10" or 12" disc sander

I picked up a TOOL SHOP (at MENARD'S) 9"disc/6x48 belt sander..... For what we do, this is more than enough. I think I paid around $140 or $170 for it.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I would stay away from Harbor Freight power tools. Bought a 18 volt drill driver, lasted 6 months. Bought another, lasted 8 months. Managed to combine the two for another 3 months. Went and bought a Craftsman Professional Series four years ago, still using it. Nuff Said.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:44 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie
I would stay away from Harbor Freight power tools.
Concur with that notion. I've sent back as many HF power tools as I've kept.

If you can find a used Dremel belt-disc sander, they are (or were) the power sander du jour for our uses, but I think those are out of production now. If you can find one, there are plenty of sources for belts and discs.

If I ever manage to wear out or break my Dremel, I'll go looking for a Delta "Shop Master" series unit, probably the SA 446.

Probably the least expensive is the Ryobi BD4600, but then it's Ryobi (I'm not at all impressed with their table top band saw or table top drill press - got both, wish I'd bought a rung or higher up the wood working food chain . . . )
Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 PM
dicknadine

are you in production or kits once in awhile? either way its hard to beat SEARS products-- again you get what you pay for and Sears has them at both ends of the spectrum. dick
Old 12-30-2004, 10:07 PM
fprintf

Thanks guys. I'll go shopping soon... no production or kits for me, just need a tool that makes sanding the root of foam easier and more accurate than a sanding block. I think I'll probably end up with a proxxon, micro-mark or delta. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:43 AM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: fprintf
I think I'll probably end up with a proxxon, micro-mark or delta. Thanks!
The MicroMark tools, and particularly their power tools, are arguably the most expensive hobby tools available, IMHO.

Case in point :

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...uct&ID=60730SP
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82558
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=60735
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=60736

The total for this set-up from MicroMark is : $124.90 plus shipping.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43533
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43758

The Harbor Freight total for the same exact package is : $45.98 plus shipping. If the total is over $50, shipping is free.

I saw and ordered the MicroMark grinder (only) and had received it - it looked useable. The same day the MicroMark grinder arrived, I got a Harbor Freight flyer, and spotted what appeared to be the same grinder for a whole lot less - I ordered it.

The grinders were identical, except that one was painted yellow and the other green. Same exact grinder, right down to the model number.

You can probably guess which one got returned.

I rarely buy anything from MicroMark anymore, because I can find either the identical product or an equivalent for considerably less money elsewhere.

In their defense, MicroMark does have some modeling tools not available anywhere else, and that's their specialty - hard to find small tools.

I've also returned items to HF, but because it was either junk or didn't work as advertised, like a pair of 12 VDC impact wrenches that wouldn't impact. In _their_ defense, HF has a very much better return policy than MicroMark. When I e-mailed HF for a return authorization on the two impact wrenches, they replied that they had ordered a UPS pickup of the items. The _next day_ UPS came knocking on the door, and it took about a week for me to get a post-card indicating that full credit had been applied (including the original shipping cost). I recently bought an 8000 pound 12 VDC winch from HF; beast weighs 106 pounds total in two boxes, and HF paid the shipping.

MicroMark expects you to return goods pre-paid, and they don't have free anything, never mind shipping.

I don't buy a lot of stuff from HF because frankly I think it's mostly junk, however, they do have some very good deals like on boxes of nitrile gloves (I'm allergic to latex gloves), abrasive sanding sponges, and a few other things.

That little bench grinder/buffer is a real jewel and a super value, IMHO. Works _great_ for polishing up soldered fittings like control hardware and scratch-built landing gear.

[MicroMark rant mode off]

$0.02
Old 12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made my own. It has worked flawlessly for about 40 years, and has produced hundreds of parts for airplane kits. I purchased the 12 in. dia. steel disc from "Shop-smith". Then I mounted it on an old washing machine motor that will run in both directions. This is a real advantage on certain parts, being able to sand on the downward stroke of the sandpaper at all times. Sanding discs are available from Shop-smith, but so is 12 square size sandpaper, so I cut my own. If you want to build youw own setup, which will end up to be better than anything you can buy - I'll get out the camera and take a picture.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 PM
skylarkmk1

You may want to try Lowes (Delta) or Home Depot (Ridgid) for smaller shop tools. The Delta 9" Band Saw (model BS100) and Delta 10" Drill Press (DP200) I have purchased for about $87 on sale and am happy with both for modeling needs. They are both accurate, smooth and quiet, but a little small (not large enough thoat or capacity) for larger (wood working/carpentry) jobs. The Delta Disk/Belt Sander (6"? disk with 3" wide belt) I believe is going for about $69. It will probably be my next purchase. I like its vacum pick up better than the others I looked at. I hate using the Dremel jig saw/sander due to the vibration and noise, but continue until the budget allows. The Delta 16" Jig Saw with variable speed that my dad has is a nice piece of equipment. Yes, I am a fan of Delta power tools, Porter-Cable, Skill, Dremel hand grinders and some others. I argee with "the-plumber" on HF and don't like minature tools like Micro-Mark has. I do have an old Sears/Craftsman 9" Bench-Top Table Saw that does what I need, but finding blades are hard. Most Sears stuff I have looked at seem bulky or have the controls out of place for me. One of these days, I'll get a Delta Uni-Saw. Good luck on your quest
Old 01-03-2005, 08:42 PM
skylarkmk1

Hey guys,
Stopped by Lowes today and the Delta Disk/Belt Sander (model 31-460) has a 6" disk with a 4" wide belt (not 3" as in my last post) and the posted price was $87 (not $69). They were out of stock at my local store, Oh well, somebody had a good Christmas. Another sander for our use are the verticale belt sanders with about a 1" wide belt, Dremel use to made one, don't know if they still do, other companies still make them.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:15 PM
nancy45

RIKON is a great sander I have been using mine for years and the performance is excellent except for dust collection which is very poor. Good for the price ($451.60).
Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 PM
alicewfalls

Originally Posted by nancy45
RIKON is a great sander I have been using mine for years and the performance is excellent except for dust collection which is very poor. Good for the price ($451.60).
Don't believe I could recommend this to a semi-professional woodworker.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You two do realize this thread hasn't been posted on in for over 13 years, don't you? I made the third post back at the end of 2004