Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

used plotter

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 05:55 PM
amtpdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used plotter

In the past, I have heard people talking about buying used plotters. I keep looking around but cannot find one. I must be looking in the wrong places. I wanted to get one that could use 36" wide paper andI would like it to use a roll. I am not looking for color. I just want to print out drawings that I am doing in cadd. I have seen a few on e-bay for around 100.00 (I would like it to be around here + - ) but the shipping is more then the item! I live in suthern california and most of the ones I find are on the East cost. I have found one or two in San Diego, but the prices are 600.00! I just want a cheap working plotter. Does anyone have any ideas where to look? Thanks for any help.
Don
Old 01-01-2005, 09:04 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: used plotter

Need to look a bit harder locally. All of the specialty shops that sell new plotters also refurb and sell the older ones. The main reason that companies upgrade is speed. Doesn't mean you will get a slow plotter for home use. Don't get a pen plotter as these have become quite useless for graghics and almost impossible to find inexpesive supplies (pens) for. The vinyl sign people love them. Get an inkjet based plotter. Think there is a shop here in Anaheim that referb's and sells.

Best to try the Business to Business Yellow Pages.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:11 PM
amtpdb

Thanks So Cal for the suggestion. I have tried a couple of shops in Los Angeles and I did try one in Orange county. I must be asking too much as they could not or would not come up with anything under$500.00. I was hoping as I said to find a cheap plotter as I have heard of people buying ones for around $100.00 from Architectual firms that were upgrading. I guess it is a sign of the times, ever one feels there used things are made of gold. I just wanted one that I could leave in the corner and not break my hobby budget.I wanted to be able to print out my drawings without running to a shop. Looking at the large drawings gives me incentive to work on projects.
Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:31 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

You will not find a descent used plotter for less than what the new plotter sales company will give for a trade in. About $600 is minimum. More for plotters that will do more than 24" wide and even more for ones that have the roll feed and cutter.

Look at getting an 11" x 17" inkjet printer to proof your work then send the file out to a local blueprint company for a full size plot.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:03 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Considering what new plotters cost, finding a used one for $100 would be kind of like winning the lotto. I paid $900 for my used HP 750. You may not need color, but most ink jets you will find will have that capability.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don......

You are not looking very hard. There are NUMEROUS pen plotters around Sou. Calif. for free. Most I ever had to pay for a late model one was $99.

Big problem in all this is that you need the proper software to run a pen plotter in Windows. Many will not run without a special driver, and that driver may run more than the CAD or graphic software did.

If you want an inkjet, thermal, or other raster types you then will be paying for it, as these types will run within Windows.

However, most CAD is lines, not pictures, and pen plotters will easily handle this type of work.

Go to my web site and read about them, and where to telephone.

Wm.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:57 PM
amtpdb

Thanks Coosbay,I will take a look. I had the engineer on the job print up some the other day and it made me feel like a leach.
Thanks again.
Don
Old 01-02-2005, 05:55 PM
fritzke

Check with contract engineering companies, architects, graphic service companies,
graphic arts firms, etc. Better to get them before they go to the company that sells them
a new plotter. Also a great source for old drafting tables if you want one.
I got a "C" size pen plotter for nothing, but needs to run on W98 and AutoCAD 14
(more fun to watch than being really useful, try to find a 36" black only inkjet, probably
the most useful and cheapest)
And yes, you will have to compete against a "trade in value" but it is next to nothing most
of the time, they are usually just trying to get the sale by offering something.
(I sold our HP 36" 650c on yab-e when we bought a new 42" 800PS)
I also got a 36" scanner by pure luck (had to pay for that though, but still a screamin' deal)
The guy who sold it was a professional "scanner" working for me and had new scanners that
were 4x faster, and to him, time is $$$$$$$ !
Dave
Old 01-02-2005, 07:29 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

EVERYTHING you have read up to now is right-on! $100

Hah! HUGE BUY BUT,,, what good is it if you don't have an appropriate driver?

I was a lucky one some years ago when I bought an ENCAD that was geared to print photographic quality It also had ywo different drivers for it. Sometimes thay may be called a RIP

Thay simply means that you take an incredibly small 4" x 6" image and can blow it up to 36" x 54" and still maintain the quality!

Spend your $100 and whatever it taked to get it to you.

The average RIP will cost you as much as $4000 - $10,000 (US $$$)

HAPPY NEW YEAR

MARSHALL ADAMS
LARGE FORMAT DIGITAL IMAGING
WINNIPEG, MB
Old 01-02-2005, 09:12 PM
amtpdb

I want to thank all of you for your insite into where to find plotters and the information on needing to find one that works with the cad program and windows XP.
Now I need to find one. I will ask the Architect on the job when I see him if he has any ideas.
Thanks again.
Don
Old 01-03-2005, 10:33 AM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In mentioning Windows XP you may just very well have elimnated better than 1/2 of the low cost plotters out on the market presently. Many do not have a suitable driver to work within XP, and those that do command a higher price now. There are however numerous ones which work within Windows 98, still a popular format for those of us in construction.

Wm.