Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How to cover this??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Boogie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to cover this??

I've nearly finished building my new plane and now encountered a big problem. How can I cover this part shown at the photo?? I mean the one which shows the fancy wing fariring (the place where the wing meets the fuse). I've tried several times, but with no success.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16792.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	215620  
Old 01-15-2005, 05:16 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: How to cover this??

Paint?

Monokote will probably go in there but you'll probably need one of those fancy trim irons or use a round ended solering iron controled by a lamp dimmer to keep the temp under control.

If you've got a lot of glue or sealer on the fillet itself or if it's not actually balsa like it looks then the plastic iron ons may not work regardless. Fabric cover and paint is your only option in that case.

If it is balsa and not sealed at all or only lightly then try using the round top nose of the monokote iron and a 1/2 inch strip or three as required with a good 1/8 of overlap. You'll need to up the temp so the monokote tries to shrink but you'll pull it to form into the groove instead using pressure and that third hand you've heard about that we all wish we had at times like this.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:36 PM
JAkridge

Boogie, Cut strips about 1"-2" ....wide lay them down in the curvered area them mate the rest to it.. and yes you need the small shoe iron that will help for sure. Paint ?? I dont know?? unless you glass it OK. IMO

Is that a warbird??
Old 01-15-2005, 11:08 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can cover that with a single strip of covering as noted in the post by "JPK". Cover the fillet first and then the fuse side. The trim iron works pretty well. Take your time and you can cover it without any wrinkles.

Dru.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Mike James

Agreed.

I've covered a bunch of these in the past. (usually made with epoxy/microballoons)

Just cut a thin strip to cover the fillet only, and stretch the covering around the curves as you heat it. Attach it to the fuselage side last, after covering the fillet itself, and smoothing it into the fillet/fuselage joint. Then, cover the rest of the fuselage.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:25 AM
CafeenMan

Mike James suggestion is the best way. Stretch while heating. But I would personally glass this bird. Looks too pretty to cover with plastic. Nice job on the fillets!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Boogie

It's actually too late to glass it. And it's too small for that. Here is what I have covered so far:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80492.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	215930  
Old 01-17-2005, 03:49 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Just my humble opinion. Use a strip as stated above on the wing and fuse. Then cover the fuse. If you have a small/trim iron use that. When you do the fuse over the other covering, its hard to see a seam. I have 2 very useful and informative books on covering. Covering R/C Airplanes vol 1 & 2 written by Faye Stilley. Its published by M.A.N.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:00 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Just a thought:

Start covering at the tail and work forward, that way the seams all face toward the tail. You wouldn't roof a house's roof from the top down.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM
dicknadine

would sugget that the next time -- do the fillet 1st-- you do do not mess up the finished outer panels. dick
Old 01-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Boogie

Thx guys for Your opinions!! Just finished covering the fuse. I am now finishing covering the bottom of the wing (blue & white stripes). That fillet has already been covered. And You were right it looks seamless!!!