Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Anyone scratch build a fictional plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Anyone scratch build a fictional plane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 02:49 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone scratch build a fictional plane?

I seen alot of scratched built planes before and have to say very impressed. One thing though i seen alot of planes built of just regular planes. Don't think i ever seen anything totally different.

A while back i came across a website on a PC game which involved dog fighting planes, all are fictional planes. The designs of the planes are very say crazy looking. Some look good and some look impossible to fly. These planes look more or less like cartoons in an exaggerated way. Here is a link to the website http://www.microsoft.com/games/crimsonskies/gallery.asp

I was thinking about taking on the task of actually building on. Just for the heck of it so see if it could be done and flyable. Most of them look impossible to set the CG. Maybe a drive shaft idea may work or something. Don't know. Anyways was just curious if anyone seen anything out there like this or something different.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:46 AM
PeterH

Default Fictional plane

A couple of years ago I designed and scratchbuilt an airplane using up a foam wing core set I had bought 20 years ago for a 'New Era', a tandem 2-place canopy from an Andrews Trainermaster, and a round cowling with rocker bumps from a Japanese kit of Mr. Mulligan. Built the airplane to join together and use up all these scrapbox inhabitants. When I got done with building, stood back and decided it looked 'Russian' so I painted it up a a fictional advanced trainer, sorta' a Russian BT-13. Gave the gawkers fits trying to identify it, as it looks very realistic, and it's painted green/gray/red rudder with WWII Red Air Force markings and lettering.

I think 'fictional' airplanes are a real hoot and worth all the effort.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Ollie

I have seen R/C flying witches on brooms and R/C flying lawnmowers among other off beat configurations. All it takes is enough power and a forward enough CG. Performance is another matter altogether. Certainly any of the configurations at the Crimson Skies web site can be made to fly.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

i have a love of the weird, my weird planes thread shows that
i see no plane there that couldnt fly...
there was a game from way back, same kinda thing as this. forget the name, but i have it.... damn, whats it called
Old 09-08-2002, 07:55 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Yeah the more I look at the planes the more i want to build them. They have that 1940's look to them and kind of reminds me of the GeeBee in some sort.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:04 PM
Cactus.

from the planes discriptions looks like a US vs Mexcio battle and Howard whats his face was still building planes insted of collecting his own **** in bottles.
Also reminds me of alot of German concept planes during WW2, espicialy the one with engines on the wing tips, i've seen that before.
where would we be if Horton was more suscessful
Old 09-09-2002, 01:24 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Howard Hues! exactly what I was thinking. Also reminds me of that movie that came out a while back. Rocketeer think was the name of it. I was talking to a few guys at our club and they all give the thumbs up on giving it a try. Looks like it will be a pain and alot of fun to build. I have a set of plans with a swept forward wing design that I will use for a pattern to start with. The fuse will guess have to be off top of my head and by looking at the pics.

One thing though i see happening is a huge mess on the table. Wife probably wont understand the joy of building or my mission. I may have to spend a few nights in dog house.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Cactus.

you where thinking that because it was in the planes info
me, i like to think forwards.... there was a fantastic program called Above and Beyond. for once a Si-fi that didnt try to be the perfect Star trek, this was like taking the USS Whatevership and making it airtight and weightless. the fighters where what i liked, like a F-16 zapped forwards a few decades.
theres a few model X-wings flying and other well known Si-fi ships

Batman....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	25145_743.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	15896