Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

old paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:50 AM
wayne57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old paint

whats the best way of taking off old paint from a balsa covered wing without damageing it too much?

I bought an old plane from somebody and want to repaint it and dont know the best way of redoing it?

thanks

wayne
Old 02-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Action Ed

Default RE: old paint

In a word: Sandpaper. Lots and lots of sandpaper.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:36 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint removal varies as to what type of paint and if there is any associated covering too.

I have found that the spray can variety of Easy-Off oven cleaner works good on enanels and water based paints. It only softens lacquer types.

Just spray on in one area, and then mush around with toothbruch and it ought to turn colors. Wash off before it dries. Then once the whole surface is dry, try another application.

This way you will not harm the soft balsa.

Wm.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:07 PM
CafeenMan

Chemicals can work well per CoosBayLumber, but you have to be careful about disolving glue joints too. Normally I just peel the covering back over itself (not straight away) and sand off whatever is left.