Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

don't know if this belongs in here but . . .

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

don't know if this belongs in here but . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 04:36 PM
rc_ve3cga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't know if this belongs in here but . . .

built a UAV a year ago. all scratch built. roughly 1/3 to 1/4 sized of a Shadow 200 UAV. Weight is 4.5lbs. Its foam wing is 58" with a 8.5"chord. There is no spar in the wing and it has only covering no sheeting, but then I',m not flying acrbatics with it. The wing flexes about 1"at the tips and after 50 plus flights is still in one piece.
Built it from 3 view drawings from the AAI Corp. site. Blew the gif picture up until I got the size I wanted and went from there. It flies very nicely and with an OS.46 and 12X4 prop it will just float around for about 20 minutes, with lots of power with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I have a video camera in the pod and it works. The radio gear is in the nose so that leaves the center wide open for payload.
Had to put some color on the top of the wing, its just too hard to see being all grey. The nose was fiberglassed over a foam plug.
Only problem is that the idea was to put a ham radio beacon in it but then the plane is too small for the electronics so I'd like to make a GNAT 750 large size for my MDS 148. Then a heavier payload could be managed without it weighing more than the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22237.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	228413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81471.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	228414  
Old 02-12-2005, 08:58 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: don't know if this belongs in here but . . .

I built a couple of foam planes (.25 sized) about 18 years ago that were one piece molded foam wings with no spar. The instructions said to run a strip of 1" wide packing tape on the bottom side of the wing (25 - 30% from the leading edge and about 3/4 of the span) and then cover the wing with a low heat covering. Being new to the hobby, I skipped the tape step. On my first flight I saw the wing tips flex about 4 or 5 inches. I went home and put some tape on the bottom and then covered the tape with a strip of Econokote. Next time out, I could not see any flex in the wing.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:41 AM
CafeenMan

Looks nice and functional. Just be careful where you fly it or some ANG guy might shoot you down.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:19 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Looks great! How's the picture quality with the slimer pushing around?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:20 PM
rc_ve3cga

Had a good laugh at the ANG warning, every summer I go down to Trentons AFB at the bay of Quinte to visit myson who is on staff as a cadet officer. I often threaten to fly the thing over the runway (which is almost right at the road) to see if i can wake upsome F18's. I also fly at the RC club down there which is close to the base where they train on gliders. Quite often there is either a Herc 130 or Sweitzer 233 glider up flyin not too far away.
The video has a bit of swim in it from the engine vibration but theres not too much room for more sponge in the video pod
The present build has survived a complete cartwheel landing with no damage other than pilot embarassment (can't believe I stalled it landing)
theres more stuff on my site http://www.execulink.com/~ve3cga and some pictures of an air cadet glider I built from their plans. theres also some early video from the camera when it was on my combat plane

heres some video caps kinda blurry though, they started out at 320X240
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24350.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	228910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41038.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	228911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37400.jpg
Views:	9