Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Sig Somethin' Extra Wings

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 12:04 AM
verald_stevens
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Somethin' Extra Wings

I currently have a Sig Somethin' Extra. It has a big thick constant-coard wing and flys great. However, for a change, I am wanting to build a new pair of wings for it. Specifically, I am looking to build a tapered wing - more like a scale extra set of wings. Has anyone ever attempted this or have any suggestions how to go about beginning this. Any help someone could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 10-08-2002, 10:39 PM
gonz049

verald_stevens,

If you are serious about creating your wings, I'll be more than happy to buy your old ones. I have a Sig Somethin Extra that needs a pair of wings, including the metal tube and brown tube. I'd be more than happy to take them off yer hands.

Luis
Old 10-09-2002, 01:20 AM
verald_stevens

Sorry, I want to keep the old wings. I love the way it flies. I'm just looking for something new...
Old 10-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Ollie

The more you taper the wing planform the faster it will roll, the easier it will enter spins and other stalled maneuvers and the easier it will tip stall on landing approach. If you use the same root chord and span for the tapered wing you will decrease the wing area and the wing loading which will increase the stall speed and increase the turning radius for a given angle of bank. I suggest that you increase the root chord so that the area and aspect ratio remain unchanged.

If you like the way the plane flies with a constant chord wing, I doubt that you will like it as much with the tappered.

I wouldn't go below a taper ratio of .7 or .75 in order to limit the adverse effects of taper. If you want a more highly tapered wing you can avoid the tip stall on landing approach with inboard flaps.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:20 AM
Swift071
My Feedback: (14)

Default Sig Somethin' Extra Wings & More

verald_stevens:
I am currently doing what you are asking about and intend to offer it in kit form as a Somethin Extra Mod. Making it a dedicated smoker with 300S engine cowling and smoke fitted Pitts muffler. Wings are a little stronger than original because of anticipated additional payload (smoke oil) while maneuvering. Gave it (the wing) a rear spar, made main spar using bass wood. Wings are currently built not yet monocoated. They are tapered front and rear as well as cord thickness root to tip. Root thickness is 15% and tip is 16.5%. I had trouble seeing mine because of those stubby little wings so I lost 10% of the original thickness and added it to the overal span. I couldn't aggree more with your positive comments about Somethin Extra's flight charactoristics. I was very impressed also and welcome the challenge to design something hopefully comparable or at least close in performance. This little plane lends itself to such experimentation and alteration with its plug-in wings. Also added small flaps, not flaperons, because I suspect my wing to be a little bit faster. In keeping an eye on weight I am trying park flyer micro servos on the flaps.

gonz049:
Will gladly sell my old original wings. They are from an ARF which has 3/4 diameter tube, while the kit version has 7/8 diameter.

Ollie:
I aggree with most of what you said, but, I have done much of this before with success and have found that increasing tip cord thickness provides stability and control right to the ground, in fact it promotes a rate of sink while landing where the inner wing stalls first and the outer keeps flying .

Bob J.
Old 11-06-2002, 03:45 AM
verald_stevens

Thanks for the comments. I was going to do some R&D and start some building this winter, but right now it doesn't look like it's going to take form - just too many other projects in the works. But definately keep me posted on your progress. I might be willing to purchase the new mod wings from you. Either completed, in a kit form, or just the plans that I could build myself. Also, let me know what you do for a cowl. Fiberglass? I might be interested in acquireing one from you as well.

I definatly agree with what you said about the potiental of modifying this great plane!
Old 11-06-2002, 05:00 PM
da king
My Feedback: (5)

swift071 I would love a set of wings. I also have the arf. email when you get them done to let me know how they fly. thanks
Old 11-06-2002, 07:33 PM
DICKEYBIRD

I designed a wingset for a friend's SE using my own airfoil that is close to the Morris Funfly types. It is 20% thick at root & tip, high point is at 25%.

The wing planform is like an Edge 540 ie: straight L.E. with forward swept T.E. to help with his (the plane's ) noseheavy condition. Each panel has 27.5" span, 14" root chord, 8" tip chord (without ailerons.) It used the original type wing tubes with the ribs configured so that the top surface was flat with the bottom tapered up for a slight dihedral effect. The spars were placed so that they were perpendicular to the fuse centerline which means they are forward of the highpoint at the root and behind it at the tip.

The plane flies great! Tracks very smooth & gracefully, sorta' "pattern like"; still floats in on landing but handles wind better.

The only thing I didn't like (esthetically) was the transition at the root between the new wing and the old configuration at the fuselage. He chose to just leave it as is and it looks kinda clunky...'til it gets airborne....than you can't tell! I'll try to get some pix this weekend if you're interested.

****OOPS!! EDIT****
Dumb***** alert! I was mistaken...the wingset was for an Uproar 60, not an SE. Sorry for the confusion....I'll crawl back in my hole now.

The same principles would apply, though.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:14 AM
Swift071

I am calling this thing 'Smokey'.
Here's what the right side plan set looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34166_14694.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	16377  
Old 11-07-2002, 01:18 AM
Swift071

Here's the original and Smokey's. The original was 52 inch wingspan, Smokey is 60 inch.

Name:	34167_14694.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	16378  
Old 11-07-2002, 01:25 AM
Swift071

Wing Structure:
The following show laminated bass wood main spar, rear spar which is 3/16 balsa webbed to upper and lower 1/16 planking, wing tube support, and trailing edge. Trailing edge is 3/4 trailing edge balsa stock sandwiched between upper and lower sheeting, plenty of meat for hinge support.

Bob J.

Name:	34169_14694.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	16379  
Old 11-08-2002, 01:56 AM
Swift071

Will sell my Sig Extra Somethin wings. One has a ding on leading edge. The dinged one is in the pic above. The other one is perfect. $50.00 for both.

Also have new in the box Sig kit wings for $40.00.
Am guessing $7.00 - $8.00 for shipping for either set.

Bob J.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:09 AM
verald_stevens

are you talking about the original wings or the modified ones that you built? I already have a perfect set of the original ones, so I don't need those. But if you're talking about the Smokey, then we can talk. I would even be willing to purchase them in a kit form - or just the ribs and plans... Let me know
Old 11-08-2002, 02:38 AM
Swift071

The previous post is referring to the original Sig Somethin Extra wings, but I was thinking $50 - $60 for Smokey's wings in kit form. The kit to include full size plans with ribs, all necessary wood and tube housings. Everything you need except covering, horns, and servos. You'll have to cut out the ribs. Build it and plug it in to your extra.

If you buy now you will be a guiney pig like me or you can wait 3 or 4 weeks and I let you know how it flys. The only thing with me is I am also making fiberglass "Extra looking" cowl, altering fuse for smoke system, fitting pitts muffler, and fitting and testing smoke system. It takes a while.

Bob J.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:53 PM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

Would that price include the metal tube also to fit the SE kits? I like the looks of the Smokey wing. I'd be interested in a set also. I don't fly our SE but my son would have a blast those. Keep me posted how it flies with them.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:45 AM
Swift071

Default Smokey Update

To answer the last post, "Would that price include the metal tube", yes it would. It also includes a number of other mods we are doing such as:

Instrument panel
Smokey Decals
Aluminum tube and tube housing
Fiberglass engine cowling
Ribs for cockpit and upper fuselage forward
Canopy shortening template
All the new wing ribs
All necessary wood products

Progress Report:

While building the wings I had someone else build the fuselage, leaving off a few things. I assembled the wings to the fuselage and checked the incidense first thing. It is exactly the same as the Sig Extra Somethin. Both wings were exactly the same, a big sigh of releaf. Having bought the ARF I never really studied it, at a glance it looked like zero incidense, was surprised to find 1 to 2 degrees after closer scrutiny.

The attached photo shows the completed and covered wing standing next to the Sig wing.

Bob J.

Name:	36327_14694.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	16380  
Old 11-19-2002, 12:48 AM
Swift071

Default Smokey Update

Added a stall tip to the wing. Attached is photo.

Bob J.

Name:	36329_14694.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	16381  
Old 11-19-2002, 12:52 AM
Swift071

Default Smokey Update

Smokey's got gages. Too bad the photo isn't as clear a view as in real life. Guess that's what happens shooting through plexi. Honest it really looks pretty good and clear too. We print these on high gloss paper and glue in place.

Bob J.

Name:	36331_14694.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	16382  
Old 11-19-2002, 12:57 AM
Swift071

Default Smokey Update

Here's a pic showing the two cockpits, Smokey's and Sig's. The small changes are significantly changing the overal look of the Somethin Extra.
In a few days I'll post an overal view of the plane together.

Bob J.

Name:	36333_14694.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	16383  
Old 11-19-2002, 01:31 AM
aschuck

Swift071
Looks great but will the wing work without all the other mods.
Is it for the kit or ARF.
I would love to buy a set of wing only if I can put them on my ARF.
Nice job and can't wait to see a complete picture.
Keep us posted!
Old 11-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Swift071

Wing works without all the other mods, just plug it in. Wing is made for both the kit or ARF.

Bob J.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:18 AM
Swift071

Default Introducing Smokey

Following are three pics of the first completed Smokey. The lighting could have been better, it's night time here. Previously I mentioned using park flyer servos for the flap servos, they're light and inexpensive. The Futaba S3106 puts out 16 ounces of torque. Went to http://www.multiplexrc.com/calcservo.htm and
calculated that only 10 ounces is required. Flap
operation should not be a problem. Futaba S3106 servos cost about $22.00 ea. They are about 1/2 the size and weight of the standard Futaba servos.

Smokey's wing weighed .3 ounces more than the Sig wing. This wing was built with a rear spar and all sheeting was wetted with Titebond on the underside and three coats of sealer on the top side.

For those who have never built the Sig kit, there is plenty of fuel tank room for a 12 ounce tank. We installed a 10 ounce fuel tank. The smoke tank is 8 ounces and is located on top of the CG and is the primary reason for the fuselage modifications.

Bob J.

Name:	38666_14694.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	16384  
Old 12-02-2002, 01:19 AM
Swift071

This is the top view, a good view of the wings.

Bob J.

Name:	38668_14694.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	16385  
Old 12-02-2002, 01:21 AM
Swift071

This is a closeup of the fiberglass engine cowling
also showing the roundness we added to the fuselage. The engine is Magnum 46 with a Slimline Pitts style muffler.

Bob J.

Name:	38669_14694.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	16386  
Old 12-02-2002, 02:00 AM
verald_stevens

That looks impressive. Can you include a close up pict of the fuse with the hatch removed, so we can see the addition of the smoke tank and how you modified the servo placement?

Also, any word on the Smokey Wing Kits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.