Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

WARNING!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:15 AM
SilverEagleBW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING!

Stiks just brought to my attention that someone is selling the plans for the Extra 300S i made on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....961074346&rd=1

WHAT A GUY!!!!!!!!

bbt,be carefull of your plans,next thing ya know someone might be selling them.I am seriously thinking of asking Terry to pull my plans from his site untill we can figure out a way to protect ourselves from these kinds of people.Does anyone have any input on what we can do?Thanks,Slade
Old 03-09-2005, 09:21 AM
McFlyboy

Default RE: WARNING!

Not sure how you can recover, but to stop it happening further could RCU embed them in a link like the one for videos, then make it users only?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:33 AM
SilverEagleBW

Well,i just emailed Terry and asked him to pull my plans for now from his website untill i get some input from some other people i know in the plans business.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:35 AM
McFlyboy

Good luck man
Old 03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
SilverEagleBW

Thanks McFlyboyI am pretty sure that Ebay will put a stop to this.I just hope that nobody takes bbt's Pitts and runs off with it,that would be very SAD!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 AM
McFlyboy

Too right, thats a lovely looking plane. Are you still going to finish the plans you've been working on? I'm eagerly awaiting the big extra.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
MerlinL14

Slade, ebay should pull the ad, but this "person" has already got a master set of plans, there is nothing to stop him selling them elsewhere. It must really grate when you have spent 100's hours to produce such a beutiful aircraft as that to see someother "person" benefiting from your hard work. I hope that you persue the copywrite issue with the pretender.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Boogie

I have also met with something like that on Polish auctions. Hundred of plans on 1 CD and so on........ the same with videos.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:10 AM
SilverEagleBW

For now i am not going to let any of the other planes i have about ready untill i have this sorted out.My thoughts are to make the plans available for free but create a website where anyone that intends to download the plans has to register and sign a copyright agreement before they do so,which will require all of their information such as name,address etc.I do not have a clue if that would fly but might be the only way to stop what just happened.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:25 AM
SilverEagleBW

Got a response from the person selling these plans on Ebay.

i used your plans for dimensions the plans i am selling on ebay are mine they were drawn in cad as yours were

Nah,i am not buying this one!Look at the layout and the text,exactly the same.This just about does it for me,HOW LOW CAN A PERSON GET!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
MerlinL14

Keep all your correspondace with the "person" Slade. He has already admitted plagerising YOUR plans, this is one step nearer proving copyrite violation. You must send him an email telling him to stop selling YOUR plans until the matter is resolved in a court of law. Make the email so it sends a "receipt" when he opens it. Inform him that you are filing through the US courts for a summons to recover any royaltys due and loss of income due to his copyrite infringment. Even if you don't persue him through the courts it may stop him selling YOUR work. Is the picture he is using on ebay one that you have completed or has been completed from YOUR plans???
Old 03-09-2005, 11:48 AM
SilverEagleBW

Merlin,the picture of the plane he posts is of a real Extra 300S,Oh right about now i am thinking,Hey Slade old boy!Ya know,that Extra you designed was a prototype(UNTESTED!).Ya know,you should really refine that design and the other 20 or so you have in your archives,start a plan business on Ebay.AND HEY! What the heck can stop me from selling my own plans cheaper then these guys!LMAO!Bet ya that will cramp their lifestyle!,LMAO!

Old 03-09-2005, 11:57 AM
MerlinL14

Way to go . If you cann't beat 'em, undercut 'em
Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 PM
McFlyboy

Love both your ideas,(undercutting and the website). Can't ebay do anything, aren't they meant to protect their butts from getting sued over things like copyright?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
SilverEagleBW

McFlyboy, i am waiting for a response from Ebay right now.Well.all i can say right now is so much for my idea of these plans for RCU guys for now,i knew someone would try a stunt like this.Heck,i am a graphic artist,at one time i had to keep a copyright attorney all of the time untill i learned the ropes of my business.Was getting unreal,had my competitors knocking on my door offering to give me half their business so they wouldn't have to compete with me,found them going through my trash at night looking for my leftover artwork!LMAO!Well thats what you get when you have untalented people trying to make a buck!
So now,all of the computers i use for artwork are never online,i shread everything before it hits the trash can.hehe! I eventually put my competitors out of business!They made me mad! LOL!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:39 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

How to protect your plans. First spend the $35 and get them copyrighted. The US has agreements with most "civilized" countries. Second when you put them in the public domain don't release them as CAD drawings. Change them to tiff's, put a watermark across them with your statement of releasing to the public domain them wrap them up in a PDF. Watermark is very large light gray text at an angle across the whole plan. Try to put a bit of decoration into the design that is not functional to the building such as a the center cut outs in formers. Make them heart shaped of something. If someone them copies verbatum your plans you can point to these "features".

Right now all you can do is complain to eBay. You might still be able to copyright them. Think the time limit is two years.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
SilverEagleBW

Thanks SoCal,we can't let this event ruin it for everyone here.Ya know what really gets me is this person is a member of RCU,thats is the only way they could have downloaded these plans.All in all everyone here is pretty cool!But you know there is always one bad apple!lol!Oh well,i am going to do as you suggested,and also take some other steps.

One thing that i have decided to do after this deal is to go ahead with my plans of manufacturing my own stuff.I need to save up some money for a CNC router for some of the parts i will cut and then i will have some of the others laser cut such as the ribs etc. by a laser cutting service.One thing i will always do is to let people download the plans for free on my planes,if they don't want to cut the thing themselves i will have some kits available at a very reasonable price.Got to find a company that can make the landing gear,i can make the cowls,wheel pants and canopies myself now.This is going to take awhile to do,i have some very cool large scale planes in the 80 inch and above size i am designing and have designed,and even a total redesign of the Katana X which i am about halfway done with,one word for that one RADICAL! WICKED!And wait till you see what i did to an Extra 300s,hehe,WOAH!

I can assure you that what just happened will not happen again,just trying to share some of my stuff with you guys.I will continue to do so,but things will be done in a completly different manner.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:03 PM
blueberry

Slade,

Sorry to hear what has happened, Some people have no morals what so ever!!!!!
They will be judged for it! I would just like to thank you and bbt again for all your work and effort that went into these planes! Up to this point I thought I would only ever fly and build ARF's But your designs inspire me to build these planes. As soon as I can make some time.

I just wanted to say thanks again for yuor efforts!

Pete
Old 03-09-2005, 03:39 PM
McFlyboy

When ebay get back to you, make a deal with them that you get to put feedback against his seller name, that way no1 ever deals with him when they see something like,
"has stolen my design, you could buy it or download it free from..."
Just a thought.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:18 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just purchase a set for proof they have not been changed. Then you can leave him a negative feedback stating that. I will slow his sales a good bit.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Slade, McFlyboy seems to have A very good idea there. I almost never go over to Ebay anymore but when I did I always looked at the sellers standing to see if he had any complaints about him. If you do the post like McFly said, it would put an instant stop to this __________{fill in your own nasty words} even if these were his own plans, why would anyone pay for them if yours are free here to members.
My question to you, I didn't copy the cutting list yet because you said you were going to change some things. Will you be posting them in the future when you have finished your proto type???
Gene
Old 03-09-2005, 04:52 PM
SilverEagleBW

Tell ya what,there is no way this person could have used my plans just for dimensions like he claims.There is no way a Cad program can reproduce what i have done,just won't happen,i used a totally different type of vector program.If this person is just starting a plan business on Ebay he is in for a very rude awakening,most people that buy plans from Ebay are scratch builders and i don't think that many do not stop in and check out this forum,he might have just shot himself in the foot bigtime.

For now i am pulling everything fromTerry's website,i will make available the new planes one by one.These planes are lighter,leaner and meaner than the ones i had for download.For those that are building the current Katana X i will supply you a link to the people doing the cutting,they will be the only ones with these files.I should have the cutsheets soon.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!!
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!

PS,i am really concerned for BBT and his Pitts,he did an excellent job on that plane!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:59 PM
McFlyboy

It's not bbt's but it's the same seller, someone offer me fifty that it's not his design.
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19164&item=5961355309&rd=1]pitts s2a[/link]
Old 03-09-2005, 05:05 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

I can do the vector to tiff conversions and add the watermarks then wrap the sheets in a PDF. Builders will still be able to have them printed at Kinkos or other like places at the correct scale. Since I have the DXF's from before I'll do the 300 sometime today.

What do you want the water mark to say???
Old 03-09-2005, 05:06 PM
SilverEagleBW

Hehe, McFlyboy,nah,he is not selling BBT'S Pitts yet,but given a chance i bet he would.Oh you know that the Pitts he is selling right now was a free download and i bet he got that download from Profili or a site like that,that has free plans for download.I'll just hang onto my fifty,lol

I've been doing this R/C plane stuff for a long time,i have plans from alot of designers.I have learned tons of stuff from these people.One thing i would never do is to steal/copy one of their designs and call it mine.Some people have professional ethics,then some don't,lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.