Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

How do cut your balsa?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:49 AM
hnflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do cut your balsa?

Hi

I'm new in scratch building, and i want to learn. I was wondering how do you guys cut balsa with the dremel tool, i have the reinforse fiberglass discs but i dont know how to hold the balsa so i wont cut my table.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 11:57 AM
kdheath

Default RE: How do cut your balsa?

The Dremel is good for hogging out balsa blocks, cleaning up holes in things like cowls, making a little clearance in a part, trimming the ends of sticks. What sort of parts are you trying to make? That would help give a better answer.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:48 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Use a small scapel like graphic artist knife for most thin sheet parts up to about 1/4 thick. Some longer and stronger knives are then used for general carving. From there use a scroll saw if you want to go with power or a coping saw or small spine backed trimming saw if you don't mind hand sawing. The Dremel is only for hollowing out blocks on the inside.

For cutting out parts you'll want to cut over a sacrifical pad of plywood or similar. Sewing fabric self healing cutting mats work GREAT as they don't dull the tip of the blade.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
hnflyer

I want to cut out ribs, rudders, elevator, etc.
I use my hobby knife but takes for ever to finish a part, I'm looking for another way.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 01:51 PM
BMatthews

GO with a scroll saw for the bigger and thicker parts..... and find some patience. Good work takes time and attention.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:22 PM
One Eighth Air Force
My Feedback: (1)

I recommend a Riobi 9" band saw with a fine blade. I invested $99 in one about 2 years and it has really paid off. I was at a Home Depot the other day and they're still selling for $99. I also use it for other projects around the house. I used to use an old Dremel Jig saw, but the vibration drove me nuts. The Riobi Band saw is so much smoother.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:26 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

..... and find some patience. Good work takes time and attention.
That WAS a bit snarky, wasn't it. I apoligise. However the intention is still valid. I hate cutting out repetitive parts like ribs but I do each one knowing that a few extra seconds to do a good job early saves many minutes later. There's a few tricks like cutting around a template and then stacking all the blanks and cutting the spar slots in one go. Such tricks not only save time but produce far better accuracy as the slots will be guaranteed to line up. But the bottom line is that there's places to take shortcuts and others where you need to take the time to do it right.

With a plywood template I can cut out a nice accurate rib with my Xacto knife in about 10 to 15 seconds. If it's taking you longer then there's an issue that can be corrected.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:15 PM
kdheath

Ribs are easy to make by cutting two patterns out of thin plywood or aluminum. Cut some rough blanks, enough for the number of ribs you need. Drill two 1/4 inch holes fore and aft in the patterns. Use sharpened 1/4" brass tubiing to cut matching holes in the rib blanks. Bolt the stack together, carve and finally sand the ribs down to the patterns. I cut my spar slots with a Zona saw while they are still bolted together. Maybe two hours, including time to make the patterns. Then you can make another set in a few minutes if needed.

The best most accurate tool for cutting bulkheads and other square pieces is a small table saw. Dremel used to make a perfectly workable one. I was sorry to see that go out of production. Micro Mark has one now, but it's pretty spendy. Check with Harbor Freight. I think they have one now that is inexpensive.

Another alternative is a table top belt/disc sander. With a guide, you can make square parts easily. It makes curved parts a breeze, too.

But for sure, get an Olfa cutting mat from a crafts shop, some X-Acto knives, some good straight edges, and a box of 100 single edge razor blades from a paint supply store. Dull blades will make anybody impatient. Not to mention wrecking the quality of the work.

Take your time and learn as you go. Don't be afraid to make parts over to get them better. Cut a little oversize and sand to fit. It's very satisfying to fly something you made entirely on your own.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM
hnflyer

Thanks for the advice,i don't know why it takes me for ever to cut a simple piece, i guess i need more practice, but i think your tips will make me a better scratch builder.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 10:06 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: hnfly
I'm new in scratch building, and i want to learn. I was wondering how do you guys cut balsa with the dremel tool, i have the reinforse fiberglass discs but i dont know how to hold the balsa so i wont cut my table.
IMHO the A-number-one tool for scratching up models is a belt/disc sander. I use that tool more than any other power tool.

For production of straight wing ribs, make a copy of the rib outline and stick it to a scrap of balsa somewhat larger than the outline.

Put the one blank with the outline on a stack of blanks equal to the number of ribs you need. Stick T-pins through the stack to keep the blanks aligned.

Use the belt sander to 'gnaw' the stack of blanks down to the outline and no more.

Use an Xacto or Zona saw to cut out the various slots in the stack all at once.

Separate the stack, and find the glue . . .