Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

need help... buiding a profile

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

need help... buiding a profile

Old 03-24-2005, 11:16 PM
xoon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help... buiding a profile

hi guys, i am really interested in PROFILE planes, they look cool and they can do almost anything. becuase of my tight budget, i would like to build one.... i know how to make the wing and the tail feather... the only problem is the fuselage. i know how it's suppose to look like, but the engine mount and the wing mount is the problem. how do i hold the wing on to the plane? and the engine, how would i mount that? do i need to use something special like plywood for the front end so the engine wouldn't rip off during flight? thanks for your time

PS. ANY PICTURES WILL HELP, especially contruction article w/ LOTS of pictures
Old 03-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need help... buiding a profile

Back in "the old days" of Controlline flying, the profile fuselages were made out of balsa ranging from 1/4" - 1/2" thick (depending on the engine used ). Then a 1/8" lite ply doubler was glued to each side of the front of the fuselage. The doubler extended back to about 1" - 1 1/2" past the leading edge of the wing. Inside the doublers were maple blocks to fasten the engine to.

To do it yourself I suggest the following:

1. Mark the width and length of the engine on the balsa part of the fuselage. Now from the width of the engine mark the location of the maple engine mounting blocks. Do not use basswood for this as it is not strong enough. You also want to mark the wing location on the fuselage at this time.

2. Now make the cut out for the engine width only on the balsa and also cut out the wing location.

3. Lay the fuselage on top of the 1/8" lite ply and trace the outline of the front part of the fuselage including the leading edge of the wing opening and the engine width opening. Cut these openings

4. finish cutting the opening in the fuselage for the engine blocks.

5. Glue on ONE piece of the lite ply to the fuselage and when dry EPOXY in place the maple engine mounting blocks. Glue the other lite ply doubler on and clamp/weight down until dry.

Your landing gear is either going to be mounted in the wing or it is going to be through bolted through both pieces of the lite ply doubler and fuselage.

Your wing will slide into the fuselage opening and be epoxied in place making a NON REMOVEABLE WING. Depending on the accuracy of your cutting of the wing opening and the width of the balsa fuselage, you may also want to add some filets at the wing/fuselage junction for additional strength. We didn't use the filets "in the old days".
Old 03-25-2005, 10:23 AM
xoon

um... you lost me after step number 1. can you post some picture of this? i just want to see the fuselage itself w/ out covering

PS.. so it the fuselage made out of solid balsa? itsn't there any other method?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 AM
xoon

i'm planning to make a .20 size plane w/ a .40 engine... i got the wing from my last unsuccessfly project, picture will be posted soon. anyways, what size wood should i use?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to the RCM magazine plans site and look up the Dart Cart. You can order the plans to see how a profile model is made. From that, you can make a very wide variety of airplanes using the principles used to build the Dart Cart.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:01 PM
xoon

i went there and i found the plan but, i can't see it because i didn't purchased it... i don't have any money right now, so i can't use this method
Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Plans for the Taco 2 are available through the Profile Planes forum right here at RCU. Get into the Search page and enter Taco and limit the search to the Profile Planes forum and it'll turn up a bunch of threads about construction and flying. It doesn't get any better than free. You'll need to have the plans printed up or scale 'em up yourself onto suitable sized paper.

The vast majority of the current profiles just glue the wing in and make it a one piece wing. From there the options get more complex and will depend on how it's designed. For the engine mount the profile models all use maple beams glued into the structure as a key element of the nose. These beams are used to mount the engine. The Taco plans will show that. Also look up the plans sites linked in the Free Plans Download sites. There's some profile plans there as well.

Even if you don't build the models shown in the plans there's lots of design ideas in them. Download and study then closely for ideas.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM
xoon

i found the plan for the TACO... now, i have a .40 engine and i read that the plan is for a .25 what percentage should i enlarge it so it can be a bit over powered w/ a .40? i will start on this very soon... just hope i have the right wood, haven't got a chance to open the plan yet.

PS. just to make sure, this is the one w/ the CF rod inside right? tell me if this is right...http://www.swanyshouse.com/taco/taco.html
Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 PM
BMatthews

Yep, that's the one with the slightly tapered wings.

For the 40 I'd say you probably want to size it up to 800'ish sq inches. That should come out at around 45 inch span I would say for a 125% enlargment. The stock 25 size version is 36 inches and 521 sq in area so 520 x 1.25 x 1.25 =812 sq inches. Perfect......

The fuselage will be about 11 to 12 inches deep.... The wings will scale up and use the original size wood just fine. But the fuselage may need a little help in the structure department. Check out some of the build threads in the Profile forum and ask for some more direct help there. Those guys know there profiles and can help a lot.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:45 PM
xoon

The fuselage will be about 11 to 12 inches deep....
what do u mean by that?

and one more question... how is the CF rod attached to the wood? just glue?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:07 AM
BMatthews

I mean it'll be about 11 to 12 inches tall at the canopy. The 25 version is already 7 5/8 tall.

Actually I got my enlargment factors mixed up. At first I was thinking your 40 size should be 48 inch span. At the 1.33x factor that would have made it about 11 inches tall. With the 1.25x factor the 7.6 inches will be about 9.5 inches tall at the canopy.

Lots of side area for the knife edge flying....
Old 03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
xoon

ok.. so i've looked at about at every thread out there about the taco... and i saw a preview video too on RCU. anyways... i've seen builds w/ the CF rod and some w/ no CF rod. the plan that i got for that site that i posted didn't seam to have a CF bar in it. so i'm kind of confused.. can someone help me? do i HAVE TO USE THE CF tube?

here a picture that i got of RCU.. this one has..a PLASTIC TUBE?

also...i've seem pictures with the FUEL TANK inside the wing... is that posible?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82968.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	251318  
Old 03-29-2005, 10:00 PM
xoon

also, what is the difference between the FAT FREE VERSION and the original?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:15 PM
BMatthews

These are the sort of sordid details that can't be answered in the Scratch Building forum. Contrary to popular opinion I don't know EVERYTHING....

I suggest you post up a new thread with the Taco questions in the Profile area and get your answers from those who are closer to the subject.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:34 PM
xoon

ok...i will do that pretty soon... thanks a lot everybody, especially Bmathews

PS. look for a build thread on the TACO .40 pretty soon in the profile forum!