Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Gull Wing on PZL P.11c

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 11:08 PM
fledermaus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gull Wing on PZL P.11c

I am considering a 40- or maybe 60-size model of the pre-WWII Polish fighter the PZL P.11c. This plane has a high-mounted gull wing.
The design of the wing-to-fuselage connection, and of the actual angle in the gull wing, concerns me a bit. I'd like to make the plane so that the wing is easy to remove for transport, either as a single unit or as separate left/right wing panels. How should I design the key joints so that I have adequate strength?

I had a suggestion that I should base the wing structure on that of an F4U Corsair, but I am thinking that the stresses on a low inverted gull wing are quite different from those on a high gull. For one thing, in normal flight the wing-to fuselage joint in the inverted gull is more or less in compression, while in the gull it will be in tension, and all the stresses will be on the fasteners if this is a connection point.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Sketches or comments welcome!

Full-size PZL P.11c in Krakow Air Museum (the only one left!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85193.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	251354  
Old 03-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Boogie

Default RE: Gull Wing on PZL P.11c

I don't really know about it, but I have plans of this plane if you'd be interested.

I have seen the real one there- just beautiful!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 PM
fledermaus

Yes Please! I would very much like to have plans for the PZL P.11c, as I don't think I am really quite ready to do my own plans yet. "Scratch" build, yes, but scratch plan and build, well, maybe...

What format are your plans in? PM me and we can talk it over.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the July 1990 issue of RCM there is an article on a build of a PZL P-11C. I have included 2 scans from the article.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77543.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	251833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52984.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	251834  
Old 03-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Balsa Master

i would make is to that part of the top of the fuse where the wing conencts is permenently attatched to the wing (and its a 1 peice wing). then make the wing (with the fuse plug) bolt into the fuse making the fuse compleate and creating a seriously strong bond.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A one-piece 1/8" spruce plywood full-depth dihedral brace from outside the gull on one side to the same position on the gull on the other side will tie the wings halves together adequately.
The wing itself can bolt on, with 4 bolts or use dowels and bolts, with the dowels at the front going into a bulkhead.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:41 PM
fledermaus

ORIGINAL: Campy

In the July 1990 issue of RCM there is an article on a build of a PZL P-11C. I have included 2 scans from the article.

Hope this helps.
Hey Campy - Thanks a lot! I found the plans on RCM's page, and the photo of the finished model looks like just the kind of build I am looking for. I am surprised that I didn't find that page when I Googled "PZL P.11" in various combinations, but I was sure someone on RCU would have what I was seeking.

Also, Thanks to Tall Paul and Balsa Master for the design suggestions. I was considering the kind of one-piece wing with solid dihedral brace that you guys suggest, and it is nice to see that my guess is confirmed by more experienced builders.

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:33 PM
phklucz

Hi there!!
I dont know if this is usefull but try this link out for some great scratch build photos of the PZL P.11c models It is 1/4 scale. Im this plane lover and I hope It will be possible to for me to buil this plane one day. The adress is www.millwods.republika.pl check it out and press on the p.11c link there. The site is not english but the photos are great. Im really happy people out there like this plane too.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM
64stang

Just to add another set of plans..........here's one on www.theplanpage.com that I found..........it looks like the one you want to build, but it appears to have American markings on it. Anyway, here it is................ http://theplanpage.com/Months/2009/P...as%20Model.pdf
Old 04-11-2006, 01:28 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: 64stang

Just to add another set of plans..........here's one on www.theplanpage.com that I found..........it looks like the one you want to build, but it appears to have American markings on it. Anyway, here it is................ http://theplanpage.com/Months/2009/P...as%20Model.pdf
It's a lovely looking design that I want to build someday but it's not scale. But I don't doubt that the PZL is largely the inspiration for Westberg's design.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Dsegal

The British Model Aircraft Plans has a PZL-24 with 60" span for .60 engine. It is plan no. RSQ1724. These may be available through Bob Holman here. And Cleveland Plans has the PZL-P6 in several scales.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 PM
64stang

I didn't mean that the model I refered you to was the exact one you were looking for, I just thought that you could see what they did with the wing design!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Hurri

Afew years back I built a Pzl 11 . I have the plans mentioned -the 60" one in the Brit; mag. But i drew them up to 84" span , had a super tigre 3250 for a while & then a US 41 gas . The wing fixing had 2 panels with brass tube 5/32"id in 2 places & 2 pieces of 5/32 " music wire to line up & hold , then 2 nylon bolts down thru as normal . Was tricky getting the servo wires down small tubes over the gull part .