Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Pfofessional Cut by Sarpolus??

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Pfofessional Cut by Sarpolus??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:22 PM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pfofessional Cut by Sarpolus??

Does anyone here have any experience with the Professional Cut by Sarpolus? This was an FAI style pattern plane scaled up to 90" WS and a 50 CC Gasser.
This was a M.A.N. or FM plan in the late 90's.

Thanks,

Mark D.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:32 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Pfofessional Cut by Sarpolus??

I was going through an old magazine about a week ago and saw the article on this plane. Unfortunately I cannot find the magazine now, in spite of a lengthy search.
The plane looked very nice. Sarpolus generally has a good eye. I will keep looking but my studio is not very organized.
Allan
Old 04-07-2005, 10:48 PM
MarkD

Thanks for your efforts, Allan. I know the original used flat foam/balsa tailfeathers. I had been thinking of giving it airfoiled tailfeathers ( and reducing the rudder hieght/ increasing width). I would be going with a ZDZ 60 and rear mounted elevator servos, so the engine will have to go 3-4" further forward.

I was hoping to find someone who had flown one built to the plans to see if the design actualy balanced as shown. If I remember correctly, it was mentioned in the article that the plans and the protoype were offset by 1".

As far as gassers go, most of the fields I fly at are wall-to-wall with Extra, Edge and CAP ARFS. I'd like to try something a bit different.

Thanks again,

MarkD
Old 04-09-2005, 06:56 PM
MrSteve09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark D,...

I checked through my Flying Models plans catalog looking for the "Professional Cut" you described; however it only goes up to 1996. I would be interested in knowing which issue this plane was featured in. If you find out which magazine published this construction article I would be interested in checking it out.

Your project sounds interesting!! I have been competing in pattern for the past four years and feel its time to kick back and enjoy flying for fun. However I still love the look and shape of those pattern planes, and if Dick Sarpolus' "Professional Cut" is all that you say it is, I might consider joining you in building one of these!!

Please let me know if you ever come across the construction article.

Thanks,
Steve T.
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
MarkD

My apologies to all- I sent everyone on a wild goose chase. The article was in the January 1998 MODEL AVIATION. Sorry to put everyone to such trouble.[]

I have scanned the article- if anyone needs it send me a PM with your email address and I will get it to you.

Here is what I have come up with so far. This is very crude- I need to recalculate the weight and balance. I think the engine will need to go further forward yet.

Does anyone know approximately what airfoil thicknesses are used for airfoiled rudders and horizontal stabs?

Thanks,

MarkD

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44028.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	256353  
Old 02-28-2009, 02:04 PM
grant118
My Feedback: (26)

Mark,

Did you ever build this plane? The original article was in Model Aviation Magazine I believe 1998. If you are a AMa member you can look up the article in the archives.
chris
Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
MarkD

No, I never have gotton around to it. I have worked on the plans from time to time, but until very recently I haven't haven't had a shop to work in.

I bought a house in a new city last year and haven't had time to do much modeling work.

Once I get the shop set up again I'll get back to building.

Mark
Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
FSFLYER
My Feedback: (12)

You're not refering perhaps to the "Prime Cut"? I think he put that out in the late '80's. About the same size.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
grant118

Looks like you got a good start on the plan redo. I would like to build one an put a lightweight 50cc engine in it. I will probable make the wing two piece also. thanks for the e-mail.
chris
Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
grant118

This is similar to the prime cut but more "pattern" looking. I found the MA article in the archives and it was from January 1998.
thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 AM
MarkD

When I redrew the plan some years ago I drew it with the ZDZ 60cc in mind.

I would want to build up the wing, and have it in two pieces if possible.

I would keep the foam core tail surfaces, although I would want to go with an airfoiled section on both elevator and rudder.

Would there be any advantage to going with a composite gear?

One thought I had was to skeletonize the ply doubler and add a trippler of say 3/32" x 1" ply along the fuselage top inside the wing bay. The idea would be strengthen the fuselage enough to make the canopy section removable. It would be much easier to access all the gear with the fuselage on the wheels and you could easily make up another canopy with a different profile if you wanted to vary the fuselage profile.

Mark
Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
MarkD

Here are a couple of views with the plans further along.

Note the changes to the shape of the turtledeck and canopy as well as the fact that I widened the flat side of the fuselage by about 3/16". I had a finished firewall from another project I wanted to use.

Does anyone know of a good source for wing tubes? Also, any thoughts on the size needed for a 96" wing?

Thanks,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62820.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1156834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59447.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1156835  
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

any thoughts of a foam core wing?
Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 AM
MarkD

I've never cut or covered foam cores before.

The wing is still just an outline, really. I don't need quite so many ribs and the tip blocks could be much thinner.

I need to find my old file on the Sachs engine used in the original article. It was probably heavier than more modern engines and I need the actual weight and mounting dimensions.. The article mentioned that the published plans showed the fuselage nose section shortened by an 1". With the lighter engine and the aft mounted servos I will likely need to add it back.

MarkD
Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 PM
grant118

TNT landling products for the wing tubes is a good source. I will probable use foam cores for the wings because they are light and easy to make.
chris