Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Building off plans First project

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Building off plans First project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building off plans First project

I am considering building from plans after having a kit proffessionally cut. I have built a couple of kits before with instructions (cap 232, 4-star-40) And a couple of fiberglass foam wing kits like now I am working on yellow P 47. Not to mention a ton of arfs (yeah maybe they don't count) and a lot of restoring, repainting and fiberglassing other airplanes and used projects (mostly GS warbirds). I am considering building pepino H-1 racer 80". How difficult of an undertaking is it? Should I step back and do another kit first like top flite or any easier kit from plans. All scratch building guru advice and input greatly appreciated. If some one has input on the hughes racer even better.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:52 PM
dicknadine

Default RE: Building off plans First project

if your talking pure scratch building, are you prepared to create your own plans from small 3 views? if so you had better have lots of experience building models, contruction methods, structural design experience. its all required of TRUE Scratch Building. building from somelone elses plans is NOT scratch building. its Plan building. it ain't in a book- its experience over the years. dick
Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 AM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

Dick,

Just a little harsh there. Glad you are willing to help out (you DID mean to help? didn't you?), but maybe you could respond to the guy's request rather than flame him.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:48 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Doolittleraider

I am considering building from plans after having a kit proffessionally cut. I have built a couple of kits before with instructions (cap 232, 4-star-40) And a couple of fiberglass foam wing kits like now I am working on yellow P 47. Not to mention a ton of arfs (yeah maybe they don't count) and a lot of restoring, repainting and fiberglassing other airplanes and used projects (mostly GS warbirds). I am considering building pepino H-1 racer 80". How difficult of an undertaking is it? Should I step back and do another kit first like top flite or any easier kit from plans. All scratch building guru advice and input greatly appreciated. If some one has input on the hughes racer even better.
Since you have built a few kits AND this is going to be professionally cut, you are basicly building a kit, minus instructions.

If you follow the plans AND USE COMMON SENSE, 95%+ of this plane will be relatively easy. Just rely on what you learned with the kits you built (in which order things should be built/assembled, etc) and you will have little, if any, problems. A couple of the most sensitive/important items are done already - which airfoil to use and the CG.

The difference between the way you are doing it and what MANY people refer to as scratch building is that you are not cutting all the parts yourself.

FWIW - I did 1 plane from a 3 view. Made my own plans, cut the parts, did 2 prototypes before I got all the bugs out and did the final plane. NEVER AGAIN !!! The amount of aggravation involved in drawing up the plans (especially when you have to do it by hand ) is not worth it. If there is a plane I "have to have", I will either find plans, OR have plans drawn up for me.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Doolittleraider

Thanks for the input campy. I sorry if I miss spoke with "scratch build" I meant as campy had infered and read correctly that I would be building a cut kit off plans. Dick thanks for the reply but I must be honest and tell you I basically got no usefull information from your post.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:50 PM
dicknadine

sorry. there was NO intent to flame him. its just the way I see things, no sugur coating. scratch design and building takes time, effort and gaining experience. you are your own artist, not a copy cat. dick
Old 04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Hopefully you wasted more time writting it than I did reading it.
That's a little harsh too.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:50 AM
Doolittleraider

Your right Goose it has been edited. I see your point Dick and I can tell you I don't think I'd ever be doing true sratch building at least not for a very long time.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:54 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Congrats on your desire to even want to do a "scratch". Everyone has their own opinion of what is or isn't a scratch built. I have yet to buy a kit. Most of the time, I will get set of plans, from whatever source,

(Oh by the way - Campy - I'm going to send that POLISH FIGHTER set of plans that you gave to me and forward it on to LAIRD SS down in Arizona. He is married to a POLISH woman)

I will scan the essential items that need to be cut out like the RIBS & FORMERS, and print them out full size. This sure saves on ruining your only set of plans. By the time I finish a plane the plans look useless, with all the little cuts and stains so NOW,I laminate them.

Your experience with building all the stuff you have done - it'll be a breeze. If you can, think about taking photos of your progress and start a thread. A lot a builders will gain from it and I am positive that you will get a lot of ideas as you go along with feedback.

marwen