Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

first time building

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 09:04 PM
resle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time building

im lucky enought to have 4 motors sitting around aswell landing gear and foam all of which were free, the motors are 40volts, 20volts and 2 of which i beleive to be around 10volts. obviously i want to turn them into airplanes specifically war birds. my favorites are p51 mustang, b17 bomber, zero fighter, and p38. i think im going to use the 40volt for the mustang, the 20volt for the zero fighter and the 10volts for the p38. my questions are wat size would u recomend? and where can i get free plans?

also does any body know of an rc club or feild near appleton wisconsin?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:19 PM
the-plumber

Default RE: first time building

If you use [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx]this [/link] you can find[link=http://www.flyvam.com/] this.[/link]
Old 05-20-2005, 04:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome aboard to RCU resle.

The voltage of a motor tells you almost nothing about how suited it is for powering model airplanes. You need to find out a lot more info before you can decide if the motor is suitable. For example a 40 volt motor that only draws a 1 or 2 amps won't spin a big enough prop fast enough to lift the model and the battery pack needed to power the motor.

If you need help determining how to test the motors for suitability I suggest you ask in the Electric portion of the RCU as the folks there will be able to offer better help.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:37 PM
resle

the 20v and 40v are from Pittman One is 19.1 Volts (model 9413H576). They are from 1991 and 1992 and the closest motor now made is the one with 7.55 amps stall current, 4.7 oz.-in. continuous torque, 31.6 oz.-in. stall, and 6k rpm no load speed
Old 05-21-2005, 11:36 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: resle

the 20v and 40v are from Pittman One is 19.1 Volts (model 9413H576). They are from 1991 and 1992 and the closest motor now made is the one with 7.55 amps stall current, 4.7 oz.-in. continuous torque, 31.6 oz.-in. stall, and 6k rpm no load speed

Sorry but you won't be flying any sort of models with those motors. The low stall current and low no load rpm is the clue. A $5 Speed 400 can motor draws that much current or more while running with a 5x3 prop and on 7 cells will spinning the prog at around 10K. The stall current of a Speed 400 is up closer to probably 18 to 20 amps followed very quickly by zero amps and a lot of smoke.

I suspect these motors were intended for scale boat operation. The torque and rpms support that.

All is not lost however. Cheap can type motors like the Speed series from Graupner are easy to get and perform at sport type powers just fine. The GWS line of motor and gearbox combinations are a great place to start but will restrict your models to around 30 to 40 inch span. For larger models such as I suspect you envisioned the motors and battery packs get expensive in a hurry.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:33 PM
resle

thanks maybe i could trade them for something more suitable