Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Avenger & folding wings

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:45 PM
jonlink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avenger & folding wings

Gentlemen,

I am interested in modifying a TBM avenger to incorporate folding wings. In the past I have seen a couple of attempts at this and I am considering on giving it a try. My question is does anyone have any information on the angles of the hinges for an avenger or who could point me to in the right direction to find this out? I have received some info from a guy on RCU but I figuered I would "send out a message in a bottle" to get as much info as possible before I start. Any help appreciated.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:17 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Avenger & folding wings

Try the "RC Warbirds and Warplanes" further down the list. Also do a search.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A model Avenger was popular while George Bush the senior was in office at Washington. Did a new plan for Bob Holman a good ten years ago. A fiberglass fuselage came out for the plan, and it still used a wooden wing. Had to figure out the angles on the folding mech, make up the near piano hinge appearing part from thin A/C plywood. Think we constructed only one after Bush left office, and by then there was no interest into the models.

Hardest part was not the folding mech, but the flaps.

Wm.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe Dennis Crooks campaigned one years ago with folding wings and didn't Nick Ziroli JR do one also?
Errol Winson's very large Avenger had them also.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:31 PM
bigstew60
My Feedback: (35)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to www.rcscalebuilder.com and look in the skyshark forum. there is a guy building one and he put folding wings on it. If you never been to that website you have to register before you can enter the forums. His plane looks awsome so far so I am sure he can point you in the right direction.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:51 PM
jonlink

Carl and the rest of the gang!

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate the team work in helping each other scratch our modeling itch!

Jonathan
Old 05-29-2005, 04:18 PM
omcusnr

Jon,

I know the wings for the wildcat & hellcat are a bit different from the avenger, but the sto-wing concept is simular in all of them. Accoding to the books/drawings I have of the Hellcat, the main spar was actually set at an angle, & from one drawing I have it looks to be 26* 20' . The hinges for the sto-wing were attached to the main spar.

Hope this helps.

OMC