Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Anybody build a Reese Cloud Dancer

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Anybody build a Reese Cloud Dancer

Old 10-05-2002, 11:42 PM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody build a Reese Cloud Dancer

Has anyone built a Cloud Dancer. I have a set of plans from RCM and started copying rib and former patterns. On the plans there is reference to a light ply fuselage and doublers. I don't see any line indicating the parts and don't see anything that looks like a traceable part. They bluelines that I got are a little on the light side so I don't know if there is a part or not. If it's possible I'd like to get an outline of those parts if they are supposed to be there so I can keep cutting parts.

Regards
Old 10-08-2002, 05:42 PM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloud Dancer

Bullseye,

I have not built the Cloud Dancer myself, but since no one responded to your post, I thought I’d look up the magazine article and see for myself.

It looks like there is indeed an 1/8” lite ply fuse side part. In the side view, it is indicated by the random squiggly horizontal lines. Judging by the formers F3 and F7, it looks like the top outline of the fuse side ends at the bottom of the ¼” square longeron, butting up to the longeron rather than overlapping it. Judging from the construction pictures in the article, the front outline of the part is flush with the front of the firewall F2. The rear outline is the diagonal line aft of F7, and the bottom outline should be obvious.

In addition, there is also an 1/8” lite ply wing saddle doubler whose bottom outline is identical to the fuse side bottom outline, its top outline is a line indicated on the plan side view, its front stops short of the 1” TE stock. There is a note in the instructions to notch the wing saddle doubler to key in F3 and F3A (note the key in former F3).

Often, plans will indicate the outlines of these parts with a small triangle mark, but I see in this plan, they are missing and that’s why the confusion.

There are two versions of the Cloud Dancer, the 40-60 version and the 120. Both plans look the same in this area.

Albert
Old 10-09-2002, 01:39 PM
bullseye000

Thanks

I copied some of the formers on transparent vellum and was able to use them to figure out the location of the ply sides. Yeah you're right there are no indications of where the ply side should end.

I bought the plans several years ago and am just getting around to building it. The blue lines faded and I couldn't make out the balsa grain in the plans. I wound up hanging the plans on the wall in my den and studying and measureing different parts of the plan till I figured it out.

I found a couple of discrepencies in the plans vs. the parts to be cut. No big problems as long as you know about them before cutting the parts. The copy of the original article that came with the plans only contains the text of the atricle and a picture of the author with the plane. No construction photos or drawings were in the document.

Best regards
Old 10-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Riley

What size? maybe I can help.