Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

scratch building an edf

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:50 PM
flydrive rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch building an edf

Hello everyone, I am trying to build my own edf model from scratch, but I am trying to use only supplies I already have. I am using blue foam board for the wing cores with balsa and ply sheetingfor the wing. I have an old unused alluminum ventilation pipe that is very light and 3" in diameter that I am thinking of using for the part of fusealage. The model is going to be fairly small. This is my first attempt at scratch building so any ideas or comments will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:43 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: scratch building an edf

My thought is that your concept will not produce sufficent thrust to keep a reasonable sized A/C in the air. Not as simple as putting a fan inside a tube. I am working with Kress Jets at present time on updating one of their older designs. It was a 42-43" span He-162 using the Kress 3 1/3" E.D.F. this whole model is really scrimping for any weight saving feature, including no landing gear. It takes a goodly amount of wing area to support batteries and the E.D.F. unit. I would think to abandon any home design power, and go with a manufactured unit first. Then design your A/C around expected weights.

Wm.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:01 AM
flydrive rc

I THINK I AM GOING TO DO THAT. I HAVE BEEN KIT BUILDING FOR YEARS, BUT I THINK I TOOK ON A LITTLE MORE THAN I CAN HANDLE.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:39 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dig out one of those chintzy postal scales. Plop your radio gear, power, wood, covering etc into a box and weight it, then subtract out the weight of box. It becomes a good estimate as to weight you then need to support, and from that work backwards using wing loading versus wing area formulae. Simple place to begin then.

Wm.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:53 PM
flydrive rc

what is the formula? to figure out the wing loading
Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 PM
eclipsegsxr

[link=http://airfieldmodels.com/information_source/math_and_science_of_model_aircraft/formulas/wing_loading.htm]WING LOADING Formula[/link]
Old 06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
flydrive rc

thanks for the formula i will play with the numbers in tonight