Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Jim Pepino´s Gloster Gladiator

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Jim Pepino´s Gloster Gladiator

Old 06-16-2005, 09:19 AM
HHjul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jim Pepino´s Gloster Gladiator

Hi,

If anybody has built the late Jim Pepino´s Gloster Gladiator WWII Biplane fighter, please let me know. Is it worth building? Good flyer? Any bad habits?

I´m trying to find a nice scale subject, and I have to say this Gladiator has some historical value here in Finland. When Finland was at war against the Soviet Union in 1939 (we call it Winter War), these Gladiators were almost the only fighters our air forces had that time. Soon there was another types but the war had to start with Gladiators. It was obvious that this mid-30´s design bipe was to be replaced very soon.

Enclosed you find a picture of one still existing, located in Swedish air museum. The swastika you see there has nothing to do with that black Nazi swastika... even that Finland was in close co-operation with Germany during the war.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48402.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	285824  
Old 06-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Cybertom

Default RE: Jim Pepino´s Gloster Gladiator

Sorry never saw one of these built. I am however drawing up my own. I'm going for exactlly quarter scale. She will have a 96" wingspan. I'm trying to determine what airfoil I am going to use to get near scale perfomance. It's quite a challenge. I have a thread I started which I will start updating once I have more to show.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Des F T

G'day,
The Traplet crowd in Britain publish drawings for a Gloster Gladiator, their number MW2108. It is 1460 mm span and advertised as suitable for .60 - .91 strokes. You could probably get a back copy of the magazine fromthe publishers. That and the plan should give you what you what, even if you have to re-draw it to the size you what. Their address is Traplet Publications Ltd., Traplet House, Pendragon Close, Malvern., Worcs WR14 IGA., UK.,
'phone 01684 595399
web www.traplet.com
email [email protected]

Some members of my club, including myself have built of similar types and the worst problem was an Avro Cadet that was marginally stable in pitch. A gyro fixed that. A gyro also fixed a Storch that was unstable in roll. I did built and fly a rubber powered free flight Gladiator way back when I was young enough and fit enough to chase them.

It can be done; go to it.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anglia Model Centre http://www.angliamc.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm has the old C.A.P. Gladiator kit available. 56" span for .60 to .91 engines.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:02 PM
gasguy
My Feedback: (13)

Has anyone built one yet from the Pepino Plans? I'm trying to get a set of plans from the new owner of scale plans (Henry Budzynski)
[email protected] but has not responded to emails. Anyone have a set pf plans they want to sell?

Thanks, Jim