Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

1/4-1/3 scale Ryan STA plans??

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

1/4-1/3 scale Ryan STA plans??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 1/4-1/3 scale Ryan STA plans??

Hi Guys,
I would like to build a Ryan STA, I have been researching and hear that the Sig kit doesn't fly very well but the STA in 1/4 or 1/3 scale flies very well. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for a set of good scale Ryan STA plans in either 1/4 or 1/3 scale??
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 07-01-2005, 04:52 PM
culver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4-1/3 scale Ryan STA plans??

Model Airplane News has a 1/4 scale STA plan for $34.95.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:40 PM
AllThumbs

Doesn't fly well?

Could you tell us a more of what you heard...I had read here that the Sig kit flew well on a 60....?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 AM
c-grain

CubNut,I built the STA by Sig in 1982 for scale competition.Took me about 4 mos. to complete.I used a ST .75 on it and it flew just fine!However the engine was unreliable,never could get it to run quite right even with the club member's help.Anyway,I took it to a contest and got 97 static points!Almost everyone warned me about poor flight habbits,but loved the plane.When the time came for me to fly,I took-off and flew thru my first four manuvers and the engine started to act-up causing a lack of pwr. and it stalled about 20' off the ground!!!After a 30-40 sec. battle to recover,I finally got it under control and landed without risking finishing my manuvers.When I landed,a bunch of guys came over and said they'd never seen the STA fly so well before.I don't know where the bad rep. came from in the first place,but I believe it's just plane wrong.If you look at the plane,it's a beautifull design.However, like any other plane,if it's under-powered,it will be a handfull.
Are you going to build the "John Goosney's aerobatic show plane"?I still think it's one of the most beautifull aeroplanes ever built.BTW, the sig plans for the 72" span are very accurate scale.Just take to Kinkos and blow them-upBuild it light and power it with adequate power and you will love it!!!
Good luck,Rich K.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:42 PM
barzini
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sig Ryan flies great. Mine flies well with the OS 61 sf.
Barzini
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15989.jpg
Views:	1243
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	390940