Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

how do I fabricate a set spoilers?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

how do I fabricate a set spoilers?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:12 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I fabricate a set spoilers?

I have started to build a 2.5 meter sailplane that was (at the time of the plans) a total free flight.

I need to (at this point) seriouly think about designing the spoilers

Q. Do I simply make a "flap" that swings up with the hinge near to the leading edge of my wing, or should I make a system that actualy goes straight UP from within the thickness of the wing?

Q. Once this is fabricated, "what is the term called" for combing both actions of the aileron and the spoiler?

Q. can this be done mechanically, or does it have to be done electronically?

much appreciation for all help

marwen
Old 07-20-2005, 09:40 AM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: how do I fabricate a set spoilers?

If installing flaps and ailerons, you can mix flaps down with ailerons up, in an airbrake configuration known as "Crow". A servo on each section of flap / aileron simplifies setup and also allows for changing camber to suit the task.

Good luck!
DT56

Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 AM
kdheath

Default RE: how do I fabricate a set spoilers?

One version of what you describe has been called "spoilerons", where the spoilers replace the ailerons. To make a turn, only the low side spoiler pops up. For instance, the full size Mitsubishi MU-2 biz plane used them. Trying to figure how to do that with two servos and mixing...

Ultimately, I expect you could pop both up both spoilers for drag and vary the degree of rise for roll control. Ailerons, flaps, and crow might be simpler after all.