Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

V-22 Osprey Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:36 PM
BUflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-22 Osprey Plans

Gents:

I have grand plans of building a fully functional V-22 tiltrotor osprey. Please, I don't need a lecture on how hard it will be. I know it will be though, but I feel like it will be fun and exciting and well as challanging and fun.

What I do need however are the plans for the beast. I have no desire to build my own plans, it just isn't my cup of tea. Does anyone have plans or know of where I can get a decent set of plans for this aircraft. They dont' need every piece of wood laid out in detail, but enough info to at least get the shape of the aircraft so I can start putting my ideas on paper.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Tim
Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: V-22 Osprey Plans

Wow. Big task you have. I just saw one fly for the first time last week. It really looked awkward. The whole time I was watching it I was thinking how it would look as a model at the field. Have fun.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Actually it would be neat and very interesting model to fly and have, its not something that everyone would like to get into, well so far you are the only one i know who want to do flying model of Osprey, well best of luck on getting your project going, keep us updated as it progresses, and in the end you may have to build your own plans if you really want this plane.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Electric I presume? There is a trick on the balance especially when going into forward flight.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
BUflyer

gas, probably 2 50cc or so. I know about many of the tricks, I am a drive system engineer for Bell Helicopter, so i ahve some experience with this model.

Still looking for plans, Any out there?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:02 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

I wouldn't use engines on the wing tips. I wouldn't use the cross over drive either. Electric makes the whole thing so much simpler. Now you could use a shaft driving turbine and a generator in the fuse with the motors on the tips.

Personally I would never fly in the full size. I'm not into death wishes.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:04 PM
BUflyer

Be careful SoCal GliderGuider. I am an engineer for Bell Helicopter, and I can assure you the plane is very safe. I am set on putting gas on the aircraft, along with the cross wing shaft. IF you reread the original post, it says i didnt' want lectures on how tough this was going to be. I know the complications.

If you dont' have any input on how I can make this plane really cool and really fun to build, or how to come across a set of plans, i would appreciate it if you didn't post here again. Thanks
Old 08-03-2005, 09:31 PM
vicman

10-4 BU! I agree there is a ton of homework put into the Osprey by a bunch of high quality people doing a good job. I am right behind you on the nay-sayers.[>:] I think you would do well to look into a doing a foam electric as a test platform to make things easier.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:37 PM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

BUFlyer,
YOU better re-read your own post.... "Any tips would be appreciated." is what you wrote. SoCal GliderGuider was giving you a tip regarding electric motors. I didn't read any lecture or negativity there.

With that being said I do wish you well on a potentially fantastic project (a positively heart felt statement). Please keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,
Bart
Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Arrogant power flyer. PLONK!
Old 08-04-2005, 05:32 PM
BUflyer

Then I wasn't clear and I appologize.

ANY TIPS ON FINDING PLANS would be appreciated.

I agree electric would be easier, I don't think there is any doubt about that. I am not into electrics and don't want to be into electrics. With the size I wnat to make this aircraft electric would be expensive and require very heavy batteries. Now this is not to say that gas will not be expensive or require a lot of fuel, but I know gas: I dont' know electric.

SoCal
I don't appreciate people bashing the aircrafts the company I work for builds. If you are knowledgable on this aircraft and want to voice your opinion on their safety fine, but if you are only working on knowledge you heard three or four years ago on the news you are out of date and out of line in my opinion.

I am not trying to be rude, but please don't make comments like that here.

NOW, anyone got any plans?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:59 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: BUflyer

SoCal
I don't appreciate people bashing the aircrafts the company I work for builds. If you are knowledgable on this aircraft and want to voice your opinion on their safety fine, but if you are only working on knowledge you heard three or four years ago on the news you are out of date and out of line in my opinion.

I am not trying to be rude, but please don't make comments like that here.
The V22 is a DEATH TRAP and you know it! The only reason it's being produced is all of the graft going on with the DOD and congress. I'll make what ever comments I please wither you think them "nice" or not. Your attempt at a model of it using the same flight system is as doomed for failure as the full size V22. You are not rude. You are extremely arrogant. PLONK!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 PM
BUflyer

It is being produced because the marines love it and are waiting desperately to get it. It did have a few problems in the past that killed some people. However, the problems that could be attributed to the aircraft were fixed and all the crashes that killed people were attributed to pilot error anyway.

I hope my model does have the same fate as the full size aircraft. I would love it to be put into production.

Is there anyone out there with any plans?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:11 PM
vicman

Hey SoCal quit being ignorant.[X(] I have seen one fly - have you? I always thought you left coast guys were laid back are you a translant?

Sorry mate no plans. Seeing as you may have access to the full scale plans you might try a G-job and work off 3-views for scale dimensions. Stongly recomend electric tho. A CF rod as the tilt axis would work... I think
Old 08-05-2005, 01:58 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

BUflyer, there was another thread a while back about a guy that was building an Osprey. Not sure how far he got with his but if you do a Search on the Scratch Build forum with osprey as the keyword it should come up. It was a rather long thread so look for one with lots of posts. Find out who started the thread and PM or email him. I suspect that's your best bet for plans for that size of model. No one else has one out in that size that I know of. Or any size that I know of other than pics I saw of a tip rotor autogyro version.

Good luck with an ambitious project. At least being in the industry you've got a head start on the needs of the complex systems required.

As for the rest of you please take a moment to cool off. It's getting a bit hot in this thread.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:30 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: BUflyer

It is being produced because the marines love it and are waiting desperately to get it. It did have a few problems in the past that killed some people. However, the problems that could be attributed to the aircraft were fixed and all the crashes that killed people were attributed to pilot error anyway.
What a load! Guess you have to genuflect to those that sign your paycheck. PLONK!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:33 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: vicman

Hey SoCal quit being ignorant.[X(] I have seen one fly - have you? I always thought you left coast guys were laid back are you a translant?
Well good for you! I've video of those that crashed!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:28 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

Yea, you are right. The pilot error was the same in all instances. Getting in the damn thing!

bob
Old 08-05-2005, 06:52 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

OK folks. As you can see I've deleted a bunch of the posts here. Let's keep it to modeling and model building and let the full sized arguments slide. No more flames or personal comments.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:14 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in an Air Force squadron that was suppose to receive these things and I can tell you that everyone who was going to be working on these were very skeptical. One of our guys went over to work on these things during the test phase and he said no way would he go up in one. They have already killed a lot of people in the testing phase, but maybe they will get all of the bugs worked out. Some planes, like the harrier, kill a lot of people in the test phase and then continue to kill a lot of people once they get into service. That being said it is a very cool looking plane to watch fly and if you can pull it of as a model it would make a very cool model.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:24 PM
vicman

Can you get a copy of the 3-views?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 PM
BUflyer

I could, but I really don't want to have to build my own. I could as a last resort, but I would rather find some that laid out the formers and wind ribs. If I don't find any plans, I will build my own out of some of the info I can get from work, but I wo uld rather not.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:55 AM
Ozelot

My impression is that it is the mechanical side of it that is fun, isn't it? OK, If it was me building a model of that kind I would spend as little work as possible on the fuselage. The most efficient way in my opinion is to take a suitably sized block of blue foam and cut the contours with a band saw. Then carve off the surplus and sand it to shape. Depending on size you have decent fuselage in a couple of hours. Next step is cover it with brown paper and ordinary white carpenters glue. I built a two meter long fuselage for a Caravelle airliner with this method in four hours. (Check out the March 95 edition of MAN, if memory serves me right, Pilots Projects to get an idea of the thing.)

Ozelot
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 PM
jwalsh1

Check this site out, they have a set of 3-view drawings that will give you the overall outline. I dont know what size plans they have, but at least it will get you an outline.

I buy their 3-views and scan them into my computer. Then I trace the 3 view in Illustrator and enlarge the resulting artwork to the size I need. I then import this into Alias or Solidworks and use them as background image planes to make a solid or surface model. The reason I do that is because ususally the 3-views are small and enlarging them just makes them fuzzy and unreadable; this way I make vector artwork that scales to anything without loss of detail. More work yes but it works for me. You could however simply sketch the plans too based on the three view; Ive seen that done with suprisingly great results.

http://www.bobsairdoc.com/

Im glad you are going to do it. Id love to see one of these and it would surely be a show stopper. Only so many common warbird models I can look at before wanting to take a nap. I love it when people do something different.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Jimmbbo

You go boy!! Will be a big step forward in RC models to make it happen!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

IMO bigger is better since the cross shafting, rotor linkage and transmission issues will be more easily done in larger scale, both for fabrication and better flight response with the larger scale..

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Cheers!

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.