Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

SPOILERS - HOW DO I FABRICATE

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

SPOILERS - HOW DO I FABRICATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:45 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPOILERS - HOW DO I FABRICATE

How do I fabricate a set of spoilers? I have had a lot of input at to where I can go to buy them ready made, but I feel that I want to do the whole thing from scratch. The WS is 96" and overall is a gull winged configuration from the early 1940's. From what I have been able to read up on them, it is best to rig them together with flaps. I've made lots of elevators & flaps but no spoilers. Q. Do I start the whole thing in a box with a flap going up or do I (somehow) have an element go straight UP. If I do that, how would I make the connections to the servo?

marwen
Old 08-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SPOILERS - HOW DO I FABRICATE

Graupner makes vertically moving blade type spoilers.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/spoilers.htm
Old 08-09-2005, 12:49 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The "old traditional" way of doing spoilers for models is a flap that hinges up into the air on the upper surface. Typically you cut away a bit of the ribs so there's a rectangular area that you sheet around and leave a slightly smaller rectangle open to the wing's insides. Into that you add a spoiler panel to fit the rectangle and hinge at the leading edge. Then arrange a pull line to lift the spoiler up. Closeing the spoiler was done with a spring, rubber band or a small weight. Of course if you use a weight then you can't fly upside down. I've also seen where some folks use a small magnet to hold the spoiler closed. If you do this and use a rare earth magnet be sure to pad it with something so the closeing action is not TOO strong. The advantage of using a line instead of a direct pushrod is that the servo can overtravel slighty to the closeing side and there's no chance of the slack line holding a spoiler open slightly.

The material of choice for many designs was trailing edge stock. But when I've done mine I've used a very stiff panel made from a sandwich of two layers of 1/64 ply with 1/16 balsa between. This sandwich was laminated and clamped over the wing until cured/dried so it holds the curve of the airfoil in that area. Overkill? Definetly but it's stayed totally stable in shape for about 15 years now.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:55 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2828770

See posts 6 and 7

Don
Old 08-10-2005, 11:34 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bruce

As usual, ytou're right there --- with the answer(s) I need

Got another one for ya.

Q. The plans state that I should cover up to the first 5 formers with 1/16" balsa. Form there back - with 1/16"

I gave elected to do the front A - E with 1/16" for the first layer then recover agin with another 1/16". I find that with all of the irregularities in the surface area, I can do the bottom layer a section at a time - then - when I do the 2nd, the "stringer" under frame is a LOT more compliant. As well, it goes on in bigger sections and faster. Bottom line, i think it'll MonoKote a whole lot better looking.

Is that an OK or not? I sure hope so --- layer one - is resting for the nite! LOL

Marshall