Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Global Hawk UAV Design Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 05:24 PM
Yeager51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Hawk UAV Design Help

I am interested in building a semi-scale R/C plane based on the Northrop Grumman Global Hawk. I plan on using a pusher configuration instead of DF.

Very limited information is around about this UAV, does anyone have any 3-view drawings or ideas where I can obtain basic design outlines?

I love the look of this aircaft and think it would make an interesting R/C plane!

fyi- Global Hawk is aka "U.S. Air Force RQ-4A" UAV
Old 10-28-2002, 02:24 AM
tomp

Default Global Hawk

Yeager51,

I'm also interested in this aircraft, but I'll be designing an EDF version for RC.

If you do an internet search for information or photos, you'll soon find out that there's not much to be found! After a while you'll start to see the same photos, over and over again. I even emailed the PR contact at Grumman about it, but never heard back.

There is one scale model of it that you could build and then slice up for the fuselage profile. Go to http://www.unicraftmodels.com/. These are actually resin kits, not plastic, so they're a little different to build. I bought two, one to slice up and one to build complete.

What dimensions were you thinking about?

tomp
Old 10-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Yeager51

Default RE: Global Hawk Kit

Thanks for the link, I never would have found that site. I ordered one of the kits....hopefully the seller is reputable and I get it!

It would make a fun Electric DF, I also thought about doing that. My thoughts are to make a smaller (relatively) model first (to validate the stability/aerodynamics). I was thinking about a .25~.45 gas DF, that size would also work an w/electric DF.

Any suggestions on construction? I was thinking along the same lines as you -using an automotive contour gage to take contours along the fuselage, tracing these onto paper, then using a photocopy machine to increase to the desired size.....then using these full size contours to make "bulkhead" like panels to sandwich in foam.....then sanding down to final shape.

I don't currently have a CAD program, so I think I am limited to the old fashioned methods!

Thanks for the tip.....and I welcome any further ideas.

Chris