Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

ENGINE SIZE vs WING SIZE/AREA

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

ENGINE SIZE vs WING SIZE/AREA

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:48 PM
iaclmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE SIZE vs WING SIZE/AREA

Hi all ...
I am considering building a plane around the Saito Twin "V" 100 4-stroke engine. The engine developes 1.5HP, swings a prop range of 14x6 to 15x6 and weighs 39oz. My question is this .... how big a wing (wing area) will be needed to support this engine? Or, is there a formula for calculating the proper wing area for this engine? Thanks for your input
Old 09-12-2005, 10:03 PM
65 Chevy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ENGINE SIZE vs WING SIZE/AREA

I'm sure that there are others out there that are more well versed on this than I am, but a 1.00 engine should pull a 7 to 8 pound plane around pretty well. Alot will depend on what you want the plane to do, and what type of flying you intend to do with it. 6 to 7 pounds I would guess for 3D or 8 to 10 pounds for sport or aerobatic flight. You can then make some judgments on wing loading. Light loading of 12 ounces per sq ft is really light loading from my experience, 16 to 20 ounces may be getting too heavy. So with that in mind, an area of 8 sq ft would work in this range dimensions like 72 inches with a constant chord of 16 inches would give you something in this range.

I'm sure others will have a better rule of thumb or a more precise way of calculating this for you.

I hope this helps
Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 PM
iaclmac

Thanks for the reply. My design is more or less along the scale/semi-scale stunter. It really wan't intended for 3D Manuvers. having said that... do you still believe that the plane will require 1100 sq.in. area? If not, what should i be looking at?? Many thanks!!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:13 PM
BWooster

Have you tried looking on the aerodynamics forum stickies? There are a number of design links, including some calculators. I think the wing loading could be a little heavier than 16 to 20 ozs without too much problem. I have an 18 oz per sq ft 51" plane that floats like a trainer. At your scale, I think you could be comfortable at 20 to 25 ozs without too much trouble.