Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Wood size when enlarging the plane.

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Wood size when enlarging the plane.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:07 PM
weg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood size when enlarging the plane.

I want to enlarge twice the span of sport plane for which I have the plans. The current span is 1700mm about 67 inch. I want to make it 134 inch.This is a sport plane polish RWD- 5 construction similar to Piper Cub. Is the any rule about proper wood size, stringer cross section, spars, plywood thickness etc. I should follow?

Weg
Old 11-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wood size when enlarging the plane.

I have gone this route with plans.

The best advice I can give you is two fold:

1. Measure the wood size on the plan to see what sizes you will need.

2. Then use common sense.

You change the size to a readily avilable size. For instance, If a piece of balsa measures out to be 9/64" x 13/64" I would use 1/8 x 1/4, if the ribs measure out to be 3/16" thick, common sense says use 1/8" or 3/32" thick balsa. Same with the firewall - it measures out to 3/4" - depending on engine you use, you would only need 3/8" - 1/2"