Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

CA health risks?

Old 11-13-2005, 09:25 PM
former spad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA health risks?

Does anyone have information on health risks from using CA glue? I have had severe alergy like symptoms, which the doctors cannot find any effective treatment. I am not sure CA has anything at all to do with it. Just wondering if anybody has information.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:15 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: CA health risks?

No specifics, but I know that when I started up this GREAT hobby again after a 25 year vacation, CA has definately done a number on my sinus'

I'm sure that everyone has a different WAR STORY to relate, but even when I'm not working with it, my nasal cavities have a tendency to drip like I have a constant COLD.

regards

marwen
Old 11-13-2005, 10:41 PM
blueberry

Try the oderless CA. I've used Zap brand, it works good and doesn't burn your eyes or nose.

Pete
Old 11-13-2005, 11:26 PM
kdheath

Respiratory troubles are pretty common with CA exposure. It is pretty severe for some people. I don't know if is a true allergy or not, but it is surely miserable. After 20 years or so of
CA, I have to really limit my exposure to CA-and the fast types are worse than the slow. I'm not aware of anything you can do about it except avoid the stuff. I find aliphatic glues just fine, now.

Oddly, the glue itself seems to be pretty harmless to the body. It dries almost on contact with tissue, so fast it is almost impossible to swallow. It is used in some surical procedures rather than sutures. It is just the fumes that pose a problem. I have never heard of anyone suffering anaphylactic shock from it, just the respiratory misery.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:59 AM
former spad

I did some research on the internet and found CA can cause sinusitis, rhinitis and other nasty sounding things to the unlucky few. I printed out a page from the Center for Disease Control on CA and will take it to my MD appointment later in the week. Stay tuned.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:17 PM
meegosh

Don't overlook the markings on the tube/box. "Use in a well ventihlated area" That is the best advice the manufacturer could've given. I dont know the medical lingo or anything like that but I know that, along with other things, you must use certain chemicals outdoors. Maybe try going outside to do some of your repairs so the CA oder will dissipate into the air rather than being sucked up by your nose over a work bench. Just a thought.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:39 PM
former spad

The "Material Safety Data Sheet" on Pacer Technology's website states "A NIOSH-approved organic vapor canister may be used to maintain vapor concentration below TLV." However, I have been so sick, I will quit using it, but that's just me.