Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

HOW SHOULD I INSTALL THIS WING

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

HOW SHOULD I INSTALL THIS WING

Old 11-19-2005, 09:01 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW SHOULD I INSTALL THIS WING

This AIRHOPPER set of plans was very vague. Back in 1940, it was a FREE FLIGHT. But, even then, the only thing the article said was to palce the wing "V" into the area left vacant for it, but to glue it "lightly"

This wing sits snugly in between the open areas (fore & aft) but I have no idea how to impliment its install. The bottom of the wing is concaved. From what I understand, the "V" section stays permanently within the fuselage and the extensions (of course) get plugged into the "V" as needed.

any suggestions are always welcome

marwen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50543.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	357107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52232.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	357108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18144.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	357109  
Old 11-19-2005, 10:41 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: HOW SHOULD I INSTALL THIS WING

I usually mount my wings with the rounded edge forward and the pointy edge to the rear.

Actually a dowel pin in front and a screw in the back would be sufficient. The hardwood dowel should fit into a ply bulkhead. The screw through the TE would have a ply washer and thread into a hardwood block underneath.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:15 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, if you're installing the servos under the wing like that then you can't glue it to the fuselage. The next logical solution would be to add a nice fairly strong saddle to the opening so it seats the wing nicely and add bolt plates to let you secure the wing. I'm a big fan of placing the wing bolts at the main spar rather than let the center rib take the load but that's just me. In this case though it would let you add some load spreading plywood plates to the side frames and a maple threaded block to the ply to take the wing bolts. Some lighter bolts at the trailing edge will help prevent the wing skewing at the fuselage and doing damage to the formers or wing center section. The fuselage section above the wing can either be glued to the wing center section or screwed down or otherwise attached after as a separate cover.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest way (after beefing up the saddle ), would be a dowel completely through the fuselage. You would use two of them. Each dowel ( 1/4" dia or larger depending on the amount of stress being put on the wing ) should be about 3/8" - 1/2" ahead/behind the leading trailing edge. Then use several rubber bands on each side to hold the wing on (AKA trainer style ).

A more sophisticated way is:

Install a 1/8" light ply plate just forward of the leading edge of the wing. Then drill a hole(s) through the ply plate into the leading edge and glue a dowel(s) into the leading edge so that they extend through the light ply plate by about 1/4". (some people use one dowel, others prefer 2 dowels )

In the trailing edge section of the fuselage glue a 1/4" thick plywood plate. While there is a weight gain here, I do prefer to use 5 - 7 laminate ply rather than lite ply. In the corresponding part of the wing glue some scrap balsa in side the wing. Position the wing in place with the dowels in the holes and drill one or 2 holes through the wing AND the plywood plate. (Again, some people prefer one bolt, others prefer 2 bolts ) Then tap the holes in the plywood plate for the size bolt you will be using. I suggest hardening the threads in the ply plate and the surface surrounding the holes in the wing with some thin CA.

Make sure of 2 things - the drill bit is 90 degrees to the surface of the wing and the drill bit is smaller than the tap size.

The second method is more time consuming, however, IMHO, it is a nicer appearing installation.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:13 PM
BMatthews

Just a thought but if the fit is that tight the dowels off the leading edge method won't work as the dowels will not be able to fit directly into the holes without leaving enough clearance to allow for the angled path as the wing is laid into place. And that much play to allow this will result in the wing being loose. That's why I suggested the 3 bolt approach with no dowels. Nylon bolts of course. 10-32 or 1/4-20 for the two at the spar and a third at the trailing edge as a locator to prevent swiveling of the wing in the opening. 10-32 doesn't look like much but I've got a 2 meter glider that has withstood some fairly strong winch launches with just two 10-32's holding it all together at the spar. No forward dowel at all. For your lightly high start launched bird it'll hold up fine.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:18 PM
marwen1

Hi Hugh, Bruce, Ted: Good suggestions, all. Yep, I too, think that the big rounded edge should go to the front -- LOL -- Definately have to make a saddle of some sort.

Campy, I can't use rubber bands 'cause once I have a position placement for the "V" section itself, I'll have to finish off the open area above it to take on the balance of the fuselage shape that is missing. In fact, I'll probably have to afix it the the "V" section so that in case I have maintenance internally with the servos, I'll be able to have total access without destroying the whole thing. If I use the idea of tapping the dowell, I'd probably go with a T-nut instead.

Trying to keep this thing as lite as possible by putting a 1/32" skin over the ribs, I am almost sure that I am going to give it a light layer of finish epoxy and some mesh.

I'll keep ya posted as to its progress

thanks much guys

marwen
Old 11-20-2005, 05:28 PM
marwen1

Hey Bruce, there is an enormous amount of room -- top to bottom, Absolutely zero -- front to back. One thing of immediate concern is the ANGLE OF ATTACK or better yet the pitch of the overall wing.

My thinking is the make the saddle as a start, in a "V" itself. The bolts gong thru each side of the unit to make it stable, but I am thinking that the ANGLE should be a ZERO Ëš.

In essence, mark a line on the formers for the bottom of the front and the bottom of the trailing edge and try to keep it as close to the centre line as possible.

Please. correct me if I am wrong with this descision

marwen
Old 11-20-2005, 06:17 PM
BMatthews

You want the wing to sit at a positive angle to the fuselage center line. In flight the wing is going to fly at between 2 to 4 degrees most of the time with a high of 6 when you're floating along near stall and a low of maybe 1 when you're flying at speed from one area to another or to get away from sink. During these times you want the fuselage to present a minimum front view to the air so you angle the fuselage down slightly (or the wing up, same thing) so the air tends to flow along the fuselage length with little or no diagonal flow. So I would set the wing into the fuselage with about 2 to 3 degrees of incidence. Of course the wing airfoil's centerline is from the point of the leading edge to the point of the trailing edge.

You'll probably find that the stabilator angle for nuetral elevator travel ends up at plus 1 to 2 once you get the CG trimmed if the wing is at plus 2 to 3 respectively.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 PM
marwen1

AWESOME!

THANKS MUCH!1

I just got the servos into fuse within the past hour. Startin' to actually look like this things startin' tp take on the shape of a glider.

Also took the top skin off the center "V" section so that I can install the appropriate braces, etc.

marwen