Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

UPPER WING COSMETICS

Old 11-28-2005, 01:50 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPPER WING COSMETICS

Hi Bruce - Hi Hugh:

Well, the saddles are in place, the wing is being seated with a pair of 1/4 - 20 x 2" NYLON BOLTS. The aft section of the wing has two 10-24 x 1.25" NYLON BOLTS. Being that the cross SPAR was too far to the rear from the leading edge, I took your advice and went with the pair of them. In fact, the top clear-thru holes are a little over size to allow for some adjust when and where needed.

The center section on TOP of the whole affair, I feel, should at least try to look like a continuation throughout -- as though there were no interuptions.

The problems I am encountering is: WHERE DO I START?

The solid center bar traveling from fore to aft in the open saddle area is only a guide. Or could it be incorporateed somehow>

I'm really stumped on this one guys

IDEAS please

Marshall
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26371.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	361442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33909.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	361443  
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: UPPER WING COSMETICS

Take off all of the sticks and stuff on the wings and shape two balsa blocks to fit the wing profile and joint angle. Carve off everything that does not look like a turtle deck. Leave the block loose so you can do your carving away from those thin wing skins. When done glue it on with no bolts in the wing. After the glue sets turn the wing over and pilot the holes through the same diameter as the bolt shank. Counter drill from the top the diameter of the bolt heads. Use a stop on the bit so you don't go through the wing.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 AM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Here is a shot of the saddle understructure

But making the turtle deck out of solid balsa is without a doubt, the way to go

Thanks

Marshall
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80227.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	361939  
Old 11-29-2005, 10:27 AM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: marwen
But making the turtle deck out of solid balsa is without a doubt, the way to go
If you make the turtledeck from balsa, you need a way to prevent the bolts compressing the balsa. You might inset hardwood where the bolts pass through turtledeck.

Another way is to inset brass tubes instead of a block of hardwood, and then inlay a square of birch ply on top of the brass tubes with the ply flush with the surface of the fairing.

Even 'slicker', solder flat washers to the tops of the brass tubes, and counterbore to accomodate the washers. Easier than trying to inlay ply.