Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Template Material

Old 11-29-2005, 07:08 PM
Balsacutter
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Template Material

Anyone found a clever solution for making templates from plans?

Desireable characteristics: hard and thick enough to guide a knife blade, but soft enough to be cut to an accurate shape easily (maybe on a sanding disk), maybe translucent (to transfer outlines from plans without copy/cut/paste).

I've used thin ply, manila file folders, and I'm about to try illlustration board (like picture frame matting). But I'm stil not satisfied.

Any discoveries?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:28 PM
the-plumber

Default RE: Template Material

http://www.seetemp.com/
Old 11-29-2005, 10:31 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Go to a heating & cooling contractor and try a hunk of sheet metal duct material. I myself have used .032 aluminum sheet from a sign shop and really like it, and it cuts well on a bandsaw. I've also used sheet micarta for wing templates for cutting foam wings...
Old 11-29-2005, 10:40 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

If micarta is counter laminate I've use it for hot wire templates. As to cutting balsa and ply; I usually just contact glue the paper copy to the material. Lightly contact glued so it can be removed. From single sheets to 3" stacks of 1/16" balsa. Use a band saw with a 15 tpi blade. I've also used those random sheets of rock hard balsa that seem to sneek into a bulk order as templates. However I use them along with a fine point pen to mark the outline on the balsa/ply. Again band saw.