Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

First scratch build RCM bingo???

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

First scratch build RCM bingo???

Old 11-30-2005, 02:43 AM
pilotman520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First scratch build RCM bingo???

Hi all,

I was thinking that I would like to build a model from plans and was considering the BINGO from RCM. I have a few questions since this will be my first crack at this.

1.) Will this be too hard for me?

I have built a 4*60 from a kit, a Hog-Bipe kit, a couple ARFS, and repaired a few ugly sticks and a t-34 mentor.

2.) Do the plans give you a list of materials for all the balsa and ply or do I have to figure out how much of each to buy?

3.) Is this model acceptable as a second plane for my wife?

She is getting pretty good with the trainer and wants to try something new and my 4* is long gone. (long story)

I would like to get into building from plans because there are so many models that you can't get kits for.

Also if somebody has a list of materials needed if you could PM me or Email me the list I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pilotman
Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 AM
kdheath

Default RE: First scratch build RCM bungo???

1.) Will this be too hard for me?

This is arm-chair quarterbacking from a long way away, but it sounds like you should be able to do it. The Bingo is similar to the 4* and Ace RC 4-40, 4-60 designs. edit: I had to go look and refresh my memory, but the Ace 4-40 and the Bingo were both designed by Doc Matthews. He's well known for easy to build, light airframes. It may look like a bundle of sticks when you get done, but have faith-it's plenty strong. Don't add anything. Build it just the way Doc designed it.

2.) Do the plans give you a list of materials for all the balsa and ply or do I have to figure out how much of each to buy?

Most plans don't. The magazine article for the plans might. If not, an evening with the plans, a ruler and a pad of paper and you should be able to generate a shopping list. For goodness' sake, don't pay hobby shop prices for your wood. Order from Lone Star or Balsa USA. Order some extra of the standard sizes, then you have some for repairs and future projects. I get excellent wood and great service from Lone Star. Also, take your plans to Kinko's and have a couple extra copies made on their engineering copier. Costs a few bucks. Cut these copies up for patterns and save the original plan.

3.) Is this model acceptable as a second plane for my wife?

If you think she could fly a 4*, she can fly the Bingo, I would think.

I would like to get into building from plans because there are so many models that you can't get kits for.

And build with better quality, a lot of times. You can select your wood. I rarely touch a kit without remaking parts to get better wood or re-engineering the whole thing. Kit manufacturing involves a lot of compromises you and I don't have to make. You'll be glad you started.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
keepiru1

Default RE: First scratch build RCM bungo???

Add to everything he said: you also know how and what parts went crunch in exquisite detail on the off the end of the runway landings.*chuckle* But refer back to his "additional wood" comment and proceed as I've built both a CG Eaglet 50 and a Eagle2 from Carl Goldberg plans! So measure away and have fun!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:26 PM
pilotman520

Default RE: First scratch build RCM bingo???

Thanks for the info. I have a few more questions though.

How do you make a canopy out of lexan or can I buy one from another model that will fit?

Is it worth getting the kit laser cut by someone or just cutting it myself? I am pretty good with a bandsaw and have made a few pieces that way myself.

Also the little decription on RCM shows two wingspans. Is that the difference between 40 and 60 size plane?

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Pilotman
Old 11-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pilotman520

How do you make a canopy out of lexan or can I buy one from another model that will fit?

>I used a canopy from a SIG 4 Star - it is very close to the one called for on the plans.

Is it worth getting the kit laser cut by someone or just cutting it myself? I am pretty good with a bandsaw and have made a few pieces that way myself.

>When I did mine I did it all on a scroll saw.

Also the little decription on RCM shows two wingspans. Is that the difference between 40 and 60 size plane?

>The difference is: The longer wingspan will make the plane more of a "floater".
>The short wingspan will make the plane a bit more responsive.
>I builot mine with the long wingspan and have a Saito 72 in it. It is a great
>relaxing plane to fly with no bad habits.

Pilotman
Some additional information on the plane.

The Bingo is basicly a 4 Star clone (or the other way around ) with rounded wing tips instead of the squared off tip on the 4 Star.

The plans have the plane EXTREMELY OVERBUILT. I used 3/32" balsa for the ribs plus put lightening holes in the ribs. You can easily add lightening holes to the fuselage sides and bottom to reduce weight. Instead of the 3 spruce pieces on each wing leading edge, I used square stock for the leading edge, made my ribs with a V in the front edge and slightly recessed each rib (top and bottom) to accept 2" x 1/16" sheeting. You can do the aileron rods, however I would suggest using a servo in each wing for better performance and less chance of aileron flutter.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
DBono99
My Feedback: (1)

Pilotman: Put a want ad on RC Universe..Thats how I got my kit..Flies almost the like the 4 stars, but a little more responsive..Here's a pic of mine..built from an old Ace kit..It's the 40 szie

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51695.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	372778  
Old 12-19-2005, 06:11 PM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: pilotman520

Pilotman
You could make a canopy by carving a plug, getting it perfectly smooth, buying the plastic, building a frame, taking over your wife's oven for a day, pulling parts and wasting a few until you get the hang of it. Kind of fun, but it is time-consuming. I would shop around a bit for a pre-made one that could be cut down...

You could get it laser cut if you like, but you get into the task of getting the plans turned into a format the laser cutter computer can use. Again, depends on your skill set and preferences. But the Bingo is a pretty simple and forgiving design, so if you feel confident, why not do it yourself?

I read the description of the plans again, and I think they are saying that you have an option on the wingspan. ie-full span or clipped. Long wing-slower, more gentle. Clipped wing-faster, more aerobatic.

I would add that changing the leading edge spars to sheeting may not be the best idea. It may end up heavier and it can affect the way the ship flies. Bruce Tharpe, who designed the 4*, says not to change the spars. Part of the way this type of model flies is a result of the turbulator effect of those little spars.

You're asking good questions. I think you'll do fine and enjoy the build.