Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

scratching new wings for old ARF

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

scratching new wings for old ARF

Old 11-28-2011, 02:48 AM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratching new wings for old ARF

My son was recently given the fuse to an old Hangar 9 Raptor ARF that is in great shape, butthe wings are long since gone. He would really like to get this plane flying, but to buy a new set of wings is $110 +, and that is not something I'm ready to do. I like to build, have built a few kits, and I am working on my first plans build right now. My question is......can I re-create the raptor wings? If you can point me to either plans, or just give me a good hint at where to start I would appreciate it. The boy is seven and I'm just trying to keep him in planes as long as Ican, and if building good wings for a cheap ARF gets me there........

JP
Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: scratching new wings for old ARF

Looking at pics online to figure the wing details: the airfoil has the same top side profile as the fuselage, the wings plug-in, has flaps(?) and the wing has an outboard drooped leading edge that is stepped (for stall prevention). If span unknown then use photos to figure the dimension as a percentage of tailspan. You can keep it simple and build washout into the wing in lieu of the stepped leading edge. Draw basic wing planform shape to get rib lengths. Rough cut rib pattern blanks and separate each with blue foam for final sanding. I strategically drill the rib blanks to receive threaded rods. Wing nuts secure everything for sanding fairness to ribs. Use these as patterns to make actual ribs. Other than the plug in for the wing the rest is basic. You could even build the wing with less sweep, more span and, thus, more area.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man, you basically have a blank check here. Just match the fuse cutout and go from there. wingspan and shape all depend on wha kind of flying you will be doing.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 PM
jp_boud
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARUP, Thank you for the ideas on how to get close to the proportions that will make it look "correct". Ram-bro, I do forget that I originally started building because I could build what I wanted....not what some manufacturer says I should build...or what "he", or "she", or "they" think looks good. I believe I will take your blank check idea, and ARUP's advice on how to start, and build wings that look good to me. Thank you both.