Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Mono-coat

Old 12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mono-coat

is anybody else having trouble with Mono-Coat??. latest 2 rolls seem twice as thick and wants go on like cardboard. even at highest temp on the iron. don't have a temp gage, so can't check iron temp, finger touch says its plenty hot enough to sizzle spit. dick
Old 12-03-2005, 11:10 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mono-coat

There is Monokote Econokote which is a lower temp and less heavier mil, and then there is Monokote Super Monokote that is the regular ole Monokote that is a thicker Mil and loves high heat! So is it possible that you have been using econokote previous to these two roles? There is a big difference between the two even though they are both TopFlite Monokote brand!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:55 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I think some colors are bit thicker than others. It may a change to the product as well. I have not used Monokote in several years, since I tried Ultracote.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:39 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Top-Flight changed the base material on Money-Kote in the early 90's. Since then it's been hit and miss as to the quality and performance of the product. A few years back it was the transparent greens that were problematic. I would like to see the original base material used and not the crud that is currently being used.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:46 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: TLH101

I think some colors are bit thicker than others. It may a change to the product as well. I have not used Monokote in several years, since I tried Ultracote.
I tend to prefer the Ultrakote over the Monokote myself. Nice material to work with!
Old 12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

So, is UNTRAKOTE that much better to work with?

marwen
Old 12-03-2005, 05:07 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Hey, Dick, what colors are you having trouble with? Did you remove the backing? (I was just covering and I forgot on the first piece.[:'(])

Woops
Old 12-03-2005, 10:30 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: woops

Hey, Dick, what colors are you having trouble with? Did you remove the backing? (I was just covering and I forgot on the first piece.[:'(])

Woops
Or when you peel off the backing and then try to iron it down color side up?

... I HATE it when that happens....
Old 12-03-2005, 11:10 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: marwen

marwen
More of a matter of preference. I use both Monokote and Ultrakote on different projects. I like Monokote, but I have found that I tend to do a little better job when I am working with ultrakote!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:12 AM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

ORIGINAL: woops

Woops
Or when you peel off the backing and then try to iron it down color side up?

... I HATE it when that happens....
I did that too. Here's my Telemaster for my explanation. The Gold is Ultracote, The rest is MONOKOTE. I like MONOKOTE beter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41868.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	364569  
Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

So no problems mixing ultracote over monokote? Any tricks to putting ultracote over monokote or vice-versa?

Anyone know of a weight diffrence between the two?

How does ultracote stand up to UV over open framework? Seems like the new monokote gets brittle and breaks, but stuff from 15 years ago is still great!)

Rob
Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 AM
dicknadine

Morning guys. may have found my answer. the 4 rolls, in the proective shrink wrapping, were under salt water, during Katrina, at my buddy's house during Katrina. so 4 more things that are trash. now added to the long list of 'to order things'. thanks for all the good words. dick
Old 12-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

marwen
Ultracote is not a 'low temp' covering, however it uses a lower temperature than Monokote. It also does wingtips and other tight curves much better than Monokote. It does not have the high shine of Monokote - it is more like a paint finish shine.

I have noticed that there are very few bubbles with Ultracote, compared to Monokote, when covering solid surfaces.

A BIG plus for ultracote is that the backing can easily be drawn on so you can draw out your graphics/designs prior to cutting. Also the backing comes off MUCH EASIER than Monokote.

There is also a weight difference between the two with Ultracote being lighter.

On the negative side, the 'Windex trick' for applying covering over covering does not work with Ultracote - it must be ironed on. Apparently Ultracote uses a different adhesive than Monokote.

In the spring 'get ready for the season session' or during a hot day, I have not noticed as many wrinkles in my Ultracote covered planes compared to the Monokote covered ones. Monokote gets brittle after awhile. I have not seen this with Ultracote. (My oldest Ultrcote plane is almost 3 years old - maybe it just takes longer for Ultracote to get brittle. )

I have found that the colors are noticably more consistant between rolls and the matching paint is A LOT CLOSER IN COLOR to the covering than the Monokote/Lusterkote. I have also found that the Ultracote matching paint does not 'spit' and 'lays' better than the Lusterkote.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:25 PM
50%plane

I love to be blinded by my MONOKOTE. On Monokote, you can easily get a bubble free finish. You have to prep the surface that you are covering.
So no problems mixing ultracote over monokote? Any tricks to putting ultracote over monokote or vice-versa?

Anyone know of a weight diffrence between the two?
When ironing a piece of trim on, and laying UC over it, the UC will bond to the warm surface. and when you peel it back off, it will leave a trail. With MK, it will just sort of catch, but come off easily. Also, when ironing UC trim pieces on, it will distort if you aren't careful. Holding a roll of Gold UC and then Red MK, the MK is lighter.(the gold could be heavier than most UC, I don't know.)

Woops
Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
marwen1

Campy:

Now there's the kind of answer I was lookin' for.

Merry Christmas, Ted. To you and your better half.

It's always great to hear from you.

marwen
Old 12-04-2005, 02:04 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

Morning guys. may have found my answer. the 4 rolls, in the proective shrink wrapping, were under salt water, during Katrina, at my buddy's house during Katrina. so 4 more things that are trash. now added to the long list of 'to order things'. thanks for all the good words. dick
Peel off the backing and wash the unrolled material and the backing in fresh water. Might have fun putting the backing on.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 PM
marwen1

Hey Hugh:

Is that kinda like putting the ROUNDED part at the front and the TRAILING edge at the rear?

LOL

marwen
Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Hey Hugh:

Is that kinda like putting the ROUNDED part at the front and the TRAILING edge at the rear?

LOL

marwen

Old 12-04-2005, 06:42 PM
marwen1

Ya think?[>:]

marwen