Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Source for thicker foam?

Old 12-07-2005, 04:15 PM
jtprouty
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for thicker foam?

Hi All,

I'm currently working on a wing that's thicker than the 2 inch foam I can get locally and am looking for a source for thicker foam. Does anyone know where I can mail order some? I'd like the equivalent of blue or pink foam so I can vacuum bag it.

Thanks!

Jimmy
www.jtmodels.com
Old 12-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Source for thicker foam?

You might inquire at your local boating and marine supply -- flotation blocks for floating docks are available in larger sizes, but I don't know how well they will work for cores. I've bought both white beaded and dense blue for flotation -- the white beaded is probably your best bet. The blue is probably too heavy -- you will just have to examine it.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:48 PM
bobwrc
My Feedback: (8)

If you live in or near a fairly large city, look thru the phone book yellow pages for a supplier of foam roofing insulation.
They cut foam, (normally expanded polystyrene (EPS) which is the beaded white type foam board (1 lb. cu/ft. density) that most wing cores are made out of) into a variety of thicknesses.
They cut tapered insulation systems that are used on commercial/industrial buildings that have flat roofs, and some of these pieces are up to 24 inches thick! There are always scrap pieces left over in odd ball sizes, but they are perfectly good for cutting blocks, for use in cutting wing cores.
The foam blocks that they cut from, look like huge loaves of bread.
They also cut the closed cell type foam (blue, pink, gray, etc.) that is heavier, but better suited for cutting thin foam flying surfaces like those on a competition sailplane.
You might also try the roofing supply distributors in your area, as some stock EPS board in 3 and 4 inch thickness.
Another possibility are the larger roofing companies in your area, as they frequently have surplus foam board in the thicker sizes, that was left over from previous jobs.
If you happen to see a commerical roofing job in progress where EPS is being used, stop and ask the roofing foreman about purchasing the damaged foam boards and/or scrap pieces.
Tell him what you want if for in a nice way, and there's a chance that you'll get a "car load" of foam for a few bucks and maybe even for nothing as those pieces frequently end up in the dumpster!
With regard to EPS board, and if you are purchasing it; alway look for what is called "virgin" foam which has no "regrind" in it.
When you go to Home Depot, or Lowes for example; you never know what you're going to find as they buy in huge amounts and apparently don't care if what they are buying is new virgin foam or foam that has regrind in it. (Regrind is the scrap foam left over from the loaves when foam boards are cut to specified sizes.) Some foam manufacturers grind this scrap foam up into smaller pieces and then mix it in when making up new foam loaves. For insulation purposes it doesn't matter to much, but for model use; it's heavier than virgin foam and doesn't cut or sand as well.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:11 PM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

Try aircraft-spruce.com. They have large size chunks of foam and all sorts of composite building supplies. Lots of handy things for building aircraft of any size.

Also flyingfoam.com, for foam and custom cut wing cores.

DT56