Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

3D CAD Need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:47 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D CAD Need suggestions!

I've been experimenting in 2D CAD and I'm starting to look into 3D. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should look for? I want something where I can draw a plane and break down for laser cutting and printing plans. I'm also looking for something not to expensive as this is a hobby.

Thanks,
Woops
Old 12-09-2005, 06:29 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 3D CAD Need suggestions!

I'd say Autodesk Inventor or Mech Desktop, 'cuze I use it every day..

but the learnign curve & teh cost are prohibitive..

Stick with 2D. 3D just gets complicated, and you'll soon be back to 2D for your plans...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woops...

Was wondering,

just a few days ago, you reported in with a note that you had then recently obtained a CAD software program. Are you proficient in it already to go on to a more advanced system? For about 20 years of using Autocad, I still do not know of all the hidden things inside the software (iffn't I was ever to need them). Many readers would appreciate instruction as to the simplicity of the learning experience.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 PM
50%plane

No I'm not proficient, but I'm learning fast. My objective in posting this is so that I could find something to give out as a Christmas idea. I hope to have learned 2D completely by the new year. I still have a lot to learn, but I've spent a number of hours on it. I've drawn up a small speed plane in my first hour. After drawing plans by pencil and paper for about 5 years, I'm finding this to start to be quicker and more precise. I haven't started on snaps yet, but I'm hoping to after I write this. I'm sure that the snaps are a majority of the program and will take a while to learn, but I'm willing.

Woops
Old 12-09-2005, 10:29 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Which 2D do you have now? Some of them have 3D versions so you don't need to relearn what you already learned.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:19 AM
50%plane

Turbo CAD LE
Old 12-10-2005, 01:14 PM
BMatthews

In that case you may want to look at just buying TurboCAD version 10 or 11 Deluxe off Ebay or whereever or spring a little more and get the most recent version 11.2 direct. That way you won't need to relearn how to do what you already know. The versions since 9.0 have had truly easy to use 3D tools and they are getting better with each version. I dabbled just a little with the 3D in the Version 9 that I got and found that it was easy to use and produce renders and such but didn't really persue it further. There's also a tutorial for 3D available through IMSI that goes with their version 11 that sells for $40.

These latest releases are a world improved over the LE version but you'll still recognize the general layout. And if you have not seen them check out my Baker's Dozen TurboCAD hints in the Software and CAD sticky thread at the top of the listings. It's post number 8.

No offense but it sounds like you have a long way to go before you can truly say you've mastered the CAD but it also sounds like you're WELL on your way.

You'll find you can get v10 Deluxe for less than $50 and probably find v11.0 for less than $100. Ver11.2 is currently listed at $150 but it may be on sale for less here and there. The Deluxe versions are all you need for home stuff. Pro versions have enhanced 3D tools but at a serious price.

Done right the 3D in TurboCAD will also generate the 2D formats you need to print working plans so you won't be having to redo the drawings for printing other than to move stuff around to arrange the layout for the print versions.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Kanain
My Feedback: (1)

Woops.

Another application you may want to start researching is SolidWorks. While I used to use AutoCad exclusively - and also design and do animation in 3D Studio Max - I was speaking with some Kange folks at the Toledo show last year and found that the are now working solely in SolidWorks. I have been using Solidworks for about three months and do all my 2D / 3D and technical drawings in SolidWorks now. I have imported a number of my .DWG/.DFX work into the app.

I use CompuFoil for wing and tail surface layouts and then bring them intoSolidWorks and work out structure for wing and stab tubes, even allows me to stress test. Also now compatible with most laser cut and 3D modeling shops.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:13 PM
50%plane

No offense but it sounds like you have a long way to go before you can truly say you've mastered the CAD but it also sounds like you're WELL on your way.
None taken. I fully agree with your statement.

Everybody, thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Woops
Old 12-11-2005, 05:02 AM
BMatthews

I've heard lots of good stuff about Solidworks. But what does it cost?

Everyone is quick to suggest AutoCAD because that's what they work with. But the price puts it solidly out of reach of the hobbyist.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:22 AM
troyhm

Hi everyone

Yes solidworks is very expensive. But what I suggest is if you can buy an academic version like I did. Your not a full commercial orgaisation making millions of dollars from it. The academic version retaild for less than $300

Thanks

Troy
Old 12-11-2005, 01:20 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Look for a copy of Pro/Engineer Student Edition (or full version which is very expensive) on Ebay. It's a really cool and powerfull 3D CAD program to learn and use.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Littlebrain
Banned

[&:] [&:] [&:] I have Pro/Engineer Student Edition. In PTC university I'm not allowed to enter. I don't know why. Where can I find tutorials?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 11:12 PM
2clharris

SolidWorks with COSMOS for finite element analysis is great! Give it a try...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32182.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	384000  
Old 01-09-2006, 09:37 AM
simark
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the VX.com site. if you can go to one of their seminars, (free) they give you a copy of their modeller software. I went and the software is simply amazing.
Apparently it was originally developed by Samsung, and then was spun off when the Asian region went into recession.
It will take a while for a new CAD user to get a feel for it. But as a semi experienced designer, I was floored at how fast you can churn out a 3D freeform design -in solids, and also edit the constraints. It is a Parametric Cad package.
It is a hybrid CAD package, you can design totally in solids and primatives or you can do it as a sketch, extrude freeform type, (like Kubotek Keycreator, which is what I use everyday)
I liked it so much, our company ordered the Designer package.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Tommee

ORIGINAL: dr_wogz
Stick with 2D. 3D just gets complicated, and you'll soon be back to 2D for your plans...
...for me, not true at all...3d is more easy then designing a plane in 2d. And remember that after 3d model is build you get 2d views in a second. Just click a button and you have it. I am using solidworks for 3 years now and would recommend it also proengineer and maybe the best Catia...but as others said they are very expensive and for many overkill...for many overkill...some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19175.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	384186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41522.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	384187  
Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
50%plane

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just a few quick questions.
What is Pro/Engineer? I've seen it mentioned a number of times, but I can't find any information about it. Also, can anyone tell me about Ashlure Cobalt 3D? How do these stack up to TurboCAD 11 and 11.2?

Thanks,
Woops
Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 PM
2clharris

ProE = Pain in ars.. Too many submenus, very powerful though. I have used ProE with Mechanica and had great results. I just don't like the user interface. I will have to stick to my guns and recommend a student version of SolidWorks w/COSMOS.... As for theother packages you have listed, I do not have a clue...