Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

SENIOR TELEMASTER "legend or myth"?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

SENIOR TELEMASTER "legend or myth"?

Old 12-10-2005, 04:08 AM
dove57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SENIOR TELEMASTER "legend or myth"?

Just wondering how many guys out there have built a SENIOR TELEMASTER?
and do they fly as good as some of the old stories I've read about them over the years,
I'd like to build one for sport/ training use in the near future, thinking of a OS 61 for power
is this ok???[]

dove
Old 12-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SENIOR TELEMASTER "legend or myth"?

Yes dove57, they fly as good as they say and yes, the 61 will be adequate power. You do have to be careful to not get a warp into the wings though. Use a film covering like monokote or ultracoat and, when shrinking the covering, be sure to not shrink in a warp. One other caution, while I'm a fan of fabric covering for large planes, do not use fabric on the wings of the Sr. Telemaster as they need the firmness of the plastic covering to maintain there shape under stress, they get pretty floppy if you use fabric unless you build in extra stiffness with X bracing between ribs and a full D leading edge which is not per plan. Do make the wing struts working units with no slop as they help to keep the wing from warping or changeing angle of attack along the span under stress.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 AM
kdheath

We had one with a bomb bay that was used as the club candy bomber and parachute dropper for years. It wa a blast. It had big flaps that allowed it to land in about two feet or fly backwards in any amount of wind. This one had an old OS 120 FS. A 3D aerobat it isn't, but just a blast of a plane with a flight envelope with almost no bottom in it!
Old 12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

There is no way to accurately describe how well Telemasters fly.

Woops
Old 12-10-2005, 01:03 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I flew a buddy's ST many years back (the early 80's in fact) and yes they are as good as the stories say if you like slow and gentle. They will easily work thermals at idle and probably would do decent enough with the engine out if the lift was medium to strong.

They fly superbly with a decent loop scavenged .40 like the old K&B's. With a modern .61 you may need to ensure the idle is set up super low to avoid long landing approaches.

If I was building one I would add flaps that extend to about 95 degrees (yes, slightly past vertical) in order to act as dive brakes so you can steepen the landing approaches and not have it glide right on by you.

An ST with a .60 to .75 four stroke would be a slice of heaven and a superb matchup.

Also if you're looking for character in a large build and don't mind a bit more work in terms of building then look into some of the old timer cabin designs. The ST is a great flyer but it doesn't really win a lot of character points compared to something like a big old timer Berkley Buccaneer, Powerhouse, Lancer or any of dozens of other pre WW2 big cabin free flight designs.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:10 PM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

My Telemaster flies great but I got tired of it real fast because it's built more of a utility plane than a trainer. It's a large lumbering giant. I'm just not into dropping things from an model or aerial photagraphy. You can't go wrong. If you build it, it will fly. Mine flies so good it won't come down. I have a Super Tigre 61 on it. They have an ARF that may be less expensive to build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89204.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	367838  
Old 12-10-2005, 01:23 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

if you build one you will not be sorry. they are excellent slow flying trainers. good for cameras and pictures from air. with flaps they are unbelievable on landings.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 12-10-2005, 01:24 PM
PropSpinner

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/srtele-arf.htm

Go to the attached link if you want to see one fly. The guy in the video is an expert pilot so he makes it look easy. You have to know how to use your rudder because the ailerons aren't very responsive at the slower speeds
Old 12-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Stickmaster
My Feedback: (22)

This plane is a legend! I have a Mod for the wing if you dont like rubber bands and many construction pics of the Senior and the Giant Telemaster. I used a SK80 and had the CG on the money. It realy depends on you flying style as to the engine.

Name:	Qo41324.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	367925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35446.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	367926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64932.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	367927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65797.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	367928  
Old 12-12-2005, 09:01 AM
aerospot

edit
Old 12-12-2005, 09:02 AM
aerospot

I love my Sr. Telemaster. As stated above, its not the most exciting thing to fly but thats what I like so much about it. Nice slow relaxing...
I have mine setup for candy / paratrooper drop & a camera pod. I am going to make a cradle for piggy-back to tug sailplanes with eventually.
I built mine with a complete "D-Tube" and covered with Sig Coverall. Its powered with an ASP .75.
I used larger ailerons than the plan and did not incorporate flaps. This thing flys slow enough without em...

Name:	Yw68114.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	368768  
Old 12-12-2005, 01:18 PM
iron eagel

I saw one at an auction last fall wing and fuse were built up just needed covering radio and controls, get bid into orbit. I say there rep. is well earned.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
MikeFreas

I have been flying R/C for 10 or so years and decided to build one. I don't think anyone would argue that the STM is the BEST all around trainer you can get for all of the above reasons. People these days forget that building/repairing is part of the hobby and the TM give you plenty of that! Even if your not into AP or dropping things sometimes a relaxing bird like the STM is what you need. I remember guys at my old field would actually bring out the lawn chairs and fly for 45+ minutes. Don't forget about the electric option.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:37 PM
stang

Don't leave one in a wheat field in the summer. The combine always wins!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 PM
JimCasey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. I built one 6 years ago to fly from floats. I bashed it to look like a Beaver, with a Dehavilland-shaped rudder and a cowl made from a Rubbermaid Iced Tea Pitcher. Add an E-Bay OS91, and fly 'til my face hurts from grinning. I still have it, and fly it regularly.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Big Oakden
My Feedback: (3)

Definitly Legend.

I had one she flew great.

I put a Tower .61 on her, and when the wind was at 8-10mph, we would put her into the wind at one end of the field and watch her fly backwards.

Also note this, I built this plane for my son, because I crashed his .40 telemaster (Cuban Eight - fold wings here X SPLAT!) the guy who built it didnt put a wing spar in it and I didnt know any beter (my first plane) When I crashed my 4* 60 (dumb thumbs) I used the ST to relearn how to fly. (I didnt just go cold on flying - It rattled my brain to the point it took me almost a year to relearn how to fly.)

I hate rubber bands so I modded the kit to take two aileron servos, and made the wing bolt on (4 1/4-20 nylon screws) I covered her in transparent Yellow on the wings, with solid yellow fuze. All moveable flight surfaces were covered in missle red. Very easy to see, and a blast to fly.

She flew great until someone removed her left wing on a split S maneuver while I was on final approach......I need to build another.
I agree with Jimcasey I keep grinning when I flew her.

one note, dont try to fit her into a sports car, she won't fit.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:28 PM
GrahamBLoc

I just bought a Senior Telemaster at a garage sale. I plan to use my brand-new Saito 72 to power this beautiful ship. However, I have a question.

The previous owner never joined the wind permanently (slides the wing halves together and uses rubber bands). Like him, I am cramped for space and would prefer keeping it a 2-piece wing. However, I would like to subsittue wing bolts for the rubber bands. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Piper_Driver

The Sr Telemaster is an absolute joy to fly. I have a Saito 80 swinging
an APC 14-4W prop. It holds altitude just above high idle. With the
flaperons down 15 degrees it hovers in a headwind. Wet gross take off
weight is 9 pounds. Using the #69 rubber bands to hold the wing on.

Working on digital camera and pinhole video camera mounting this winter.

For a slow graceful flyer the Sr Telemaster cant be beat.

To keep the aircraft clean I ran the crankcase vent and 4cycle exhaust
down the right main landing gear. The airframe stays virtually spotless.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

I've built mine twice. Two fuselages and one wing build. Kids are hard on it, what can I say? It also now has a set of flying wires on the tailfeathers. These planes are LIGHT. After the last rebuild I gave it a bomb drop.

The 96" one piece wing is not for everybody.

-Cheech
Old 03-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Doog-meister

There are planes, and then there are planes. The Senior Tele is pure legend. Powered mine with a Magnum .65. made some mods to the wing so it bolted on w/ 4 1/4 - 20 nylon bolts, and used a servo for each aileron. Carried a 35mm camera in it. Weighed 11 1/2 lbs with the camera, and actually was more stable in flight with the additional weight. Loved to go waaaay up high, kill the engine, and yell "dead stick". It would land 5 minutes later. The plane will thermal, take off in 15 or 20 feet, do beautiful stall turns, tail slides, spins, etc.

Name:	Us54358.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	417937  
Old 04-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Capt. Bill

I remember reading ads for the plane back in the early 70s. There was a comment that in Europe, I believe, they were used to string cables over valleys.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Capt. Bill

I happened to find what I was talking about. It was in a review for the Senior Telemaster in the April 1973 issue of RCM by Bill O'Brien . It said:

This design has been around for a number of years in Germany, and has been used to string telephone wires across deep ravines, which task would otherwise require a full scale Helicopter.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:45 AM
PropSpinner

I got my Senior Telemaster out of mothballs Friday for the first time in about 3 years. I have been flying a H9 Twist 3D this season and last and having a blast. I took the Telemaster up about 6 times (15 min flights) and had a good time. I maxed out all the throws and put in some expo but didn't bother with dual rates cause I figured it didn't matter. I attempted flat spins repeatedly and actually got it to do some good ones and hold altitude. I did touch and goes till the receiver batteries were almost dead and backed it up and went home. This plane is good for teaching good landing and takeoff skills because it wants to weather vane so badly. It's a kick to watch land because that rear airfoil makes the tail sit so high. My six year old wants to go buy some toy paratroopers and drop them from the H9 drop box I put on it. I had a truck when I built it and it just barely fits into my Honda.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:27 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, like many older persons, have had and loved the Senior Telemaster. A club member bought one of the ARFs and brought it to field today for maiden flight. I was given the honor of first fligh on it. Advanced throttle slowly, tail raised up, plane tracked straight as an arrow, no input and the plane was climbing out like a homesick angel. Legend yep. and still one of the best.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
rleon

Building Tele now. Could send wing mods and
pics. Thanks