Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

turbine ? how they work

Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default turbine ? how they work

ive seen the ads on this website for turbine motors i have a prodject im working on its a rocket boosted orignal rc10 uses electric motor but then add rocket and zoom
jus thinkink how cool it would be to use a turbine and need to know if it would be feasble
can anyone help

also the ones they ad for are like 2 grand are there any cheaper ones or does anyone have plans to build one
ps theres a vid of it here dont know how to link but its titled rocketrc10
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33762.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	370161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52645.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	370162  
Old 12-14-2005, 07:44 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: turbine ? how they work

$2 grand ARE the cheap ones. Also they produce typically around 15 or more pounds of thrust. Enough to turn your RC10 into an airplane, wings or not. I suggest that this is one idea where it's best to just lay down until the feeling goes away.

The rocket motors on the rear sounds sort of like fun though. The big D sizes put out about 6 or so lbs of thrust for up to 1.5 seconds. That should be enough to hit Warp Speed...
Old 12-14-2005, 08:51 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

need to know if it would be feasble
Nope!!!
Old 12-14-2005, 09:10 PM
discgolfer72

im using e rockets now and its still stays on the ground its about 6 pounds with all the electronics on it and the drag from the magnets in electric motor slow it down to mabey i can build own turbine a friend built one using propane and exaust peices he used it on his gas scoter worked pretty good havent seen him in awhile so if anyone has plans or knows of a link for some that would help
Old 12-14-2005, 09:39 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get a bit of speed up think about a ramjet.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 PM
discgolfer72

the eletric 27 turn motor gets it up to about 20-25 mph think thats fast enough i can make it faster but have to go get a new esc and motor
how does a ram jet work can i buy or do i need to build
Old 12-15-2005, 01:33 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

And injested dust & grit won't do teh turbine any good.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You would need considerably more speed to get a ramjet to work than what your car will give you. One thing you haven't considerred is the heat factor. Jet engines generate substantial amounts of heat, with 1000 degrees being normal for the exhaust. Turbines are extremely dangerous, which is why R/C pilots are required to get approval from the AMA before they can start flying a turbine powered plane. Stick to the rocket and electric drive, it could save you(or someone else) from a serious injury, if not worse.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

take off the eletric motor and put two EDF(electric Ducted fans) on it. should get some amount of speed and the resistance wont be there.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 PM
discgolfer72

cool thanks

also got a hold of my friend withe the home made jet engine it uses a proopane tank with a one way valve and several peices of exaust pipe he used some sort of metal fans in it and he says that the air movment inside frome the propane moves the fans and then te lighter guts light it and boom he says that it puts about a 3 foot blast and boosts his scooter like 5-10 mph think im going to try and build a minni version gotta figure out a smaller fuel source than coleman camp tank

oh yea and thank god for wireless ignition[sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 12-15-2005, 10:17 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

That is a ram jet.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:50 PM
discgolfer72

cool thanks any idea where to get some metal fans ive figured i need aboyt 2- 3 inch fan
Old 12-17-2005, 10:54 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt even think of it. First off, turbines are very thursty, where would you put the gas for it? We usually get a 7-9 minute flight on around 100-110 ounces of kero.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Couch-pilot

Sounds more like a pulse jet to me....Big, noisy, BBQ lighter. Do your homework before jumping on this one
Old 12-18-2005, 02:47 PM
discgolfer72

like i said my friend built one for his gas scoter im just going to build the same thing just to smaller scale figured out i can use small pump to feed engine and use a fuel injector and servo to controll how much gass it gets probaly going to start with nitro fuel and go from there the pump and injector should mist the fuel rnough to make it work if not they have small propane tanks that should work my friend used a camp tank, the small ones i found are about the size of a large pickle he gets 5 mins out of the camp tank
im shooting for a 1-2 min boost
Old 12-18-2005, 03:41 PM
dyrbr_d

I don't know what kind of ram jet you guys are talking about, the kind I learned about need to be going about mach 1 or approximately 780 mph at sea level to work. Taking this into consideration, I don't see how this is a ram jet. A ram jet uses the nosecone of the engine to create a pressure wave and then uses the air at a higher pressure to combust, therefore more air in=more power. A tip for you when you build the propulsion engine is "suck squeeze boom blow" Suck in the air, squeze it, combust it, blow it out the back.

Steve
Old 12-18-2005, 06:09 PM
discgolfer72

its not. its a jet engine the one im bulding uses 3 fans inside u turn on the propane and the air passing by the fans turns them when u ingnite the fuel the heat causes the fanns to turn faster and creats a thrust

ps im glad everyone is conc about my saftey but i build race cars for a living and think i know a thing or 2 about saftey and the risks ass. with flamable and explosive matt.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Couch-pilot

Got any pictures or drawings? The only turbine I can remember running on propane is the Sophia. 3 Fans? Definitely not a ram jet. No way you could approach the speeds required to sustain one. As for a turbine, It would be a decent size -ie AMT Olympus (100lbs thrust - correct me if I'm wrong.) - and you won't be building one at home. If i remember right, the Olympus retails at 10k US? And built out of exhaust pipe??? With a flame shooting out the back? That just screams pulsejet at me. a good sized pulsejet engine will more than move a go-kart - some of the valveless hiller designs were said to produce 200lbs of thrust -enough to interest the military. Keep in mind, they get reeeallll hot - tailpipe goes orange during normal operation.

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/

Here's a link to what you probably want.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 PM
discgolfer72

thanks couch thats getting closer to what i need
im using it on my rocket boosted rc car so i need small boost
probaly 6-10 lbs should do the trick have used the biggest rocket engines i colud find still not enough power my car is 6 lbs
i have a vid called rocketrc10 here on this site just go to member vids

Name:	Om33797.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	372436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57234.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	372437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39442.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	372438  
Old 12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Couch-pilot

Okay, save yourself the hassle and buy a Dynajet. It should give you more than enough oompf, and you can just bolt it on and feed it gas.
Keep a fire extinguisher handy, and some mining-grade hearing protection. These suckers are loud!

Name:	Xv62871.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	372462  
Old 12-22-2005, 02:31 AM
rodger123

hello every one, well my name is rodger and i need some help with my home made turbine, you might ask why not just buy one dont have the money, but ill have one soon, i know much about a turbine but im missing some thing with mine , let me tell you what its made out of cheep but it works i made the can out of food cands, and the combuster the compresser is plastic frome a vacume and the turbine weel is out of a cut food can, made a round o and made slits and bind them to shape the exit weel and used a rc helicopter fly shaft for the turbine shaft , as soon as i get pic and can post them i will, man it looks like the real thing, but its only 90% dune the starter is a 300 moter and i have to hand pump the oil, sucks but i have propane for gas, i ran the turbine but its not runing on its own it fires up a nice blue flame but it stops may be im missing a fuel can you nice guy help me! thinks
Old 12-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Couch-pilot

Best piece of advice I could give is to go and buy the book "Gas Turbine Engines For Model Aircraft" by Kurt Schreckling. This is the basis for all modern model jets, and is the first succesful engine that the average person could build.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/095...lance&n=283155

It should be available cheaper through RCM or Traplet Publications in the UK

Hope it helps.....
Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 PM
rodger123

hey thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)