Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

sig hog

Old 12-17-2005, 12:57 PM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig hog

I have taken the plans from a sig astro hog & enlarged them 12% giving me a wingspan of 80 in. The plans show a dihedral of about 2in. on the tips. I was wondering if anyone thinks a flat wing in one piece without dihedral would work & how would it handle. I plan to run a gas engine instead of glow.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: sig hog

Take 1/2 of the dihedral out, but don't take it all out. Even updated this is an old design and it will not fly well without some dihedral.
Walt
Old 12-17-2005, 02:17 PM
jadec241

Thanks Walt, was going to email you about the set of plans. Got the plans from a member of our club. I got so many different answers from members that I thought I would check with rcuniverse. I thought about building it without dihedral for simplicity but it would look better with it plus I thought it would fly better also. Will keep you abrest of my plans..
Old 12-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Walt Thyng

I was just in my shop and checked the dihedral on my Hog. It's one inch and it flies great.
Walt
Old 12-17-2005, 02:56 PM
jadec241

Walt, looking at the dihedral angle on page 10 & placing a block of wood under rib 5w it would bring the height to 3-1/8th. I can always make the angle gauge from page 6 less. That would give me less dihedral.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Walt Thyng

I forgot about you scaling it up --what was it 12 percent? ---- I'd go with one half the resultant angle. The Hog is a great flying, confidence building airplane, but it's never going to be a hot-dog or a 3Der. Enjoy it for what it is. Surprisingly, I learned knife edge with mine.
Walt
Old 12-17-2005, 06:06 PM
jadec241

The plan was enlarged to 12%. I found a blueprint shop in town that charges me $2.50 a sheet. The only problem is that he has to run it thru 2 times since his printer isn't wide enough. But he overlaps each set so I can line it up. There are some changes to be made but the plane will look like the hog anyway. I have a 46 size stick that I fly plus a member gave me a 46 size UCANDO that I 3D with plus the stick pict. I sent you The biggest thing I have is a 1/4 scale Sig Cub withc a clipped wing with a 33cc a gas engine. It is up for sale on RCU.