Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Question about enlarging plans.

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Question about enlarging plans.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
kbkranz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about enlarging plans.

Merry Christmas to all.
I have a set of plans for a 40 size airplane and I thought maybe I could enlarge them on a blueprint copier at work. Does anyone know approximately what percent I would need to enlarge them too.
Thanks Kev
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Question about enlarging plans.

I have a set of plans for a 40 size airplane and I thought maybe I could enlarge them on a blueprint copier at work. Does anyone know approximately what percent I would need to enlarge them too.

It would really help if you would tell us how large you want the enlarged plans to be. And that's easy to figure yourself. Take one existing measurement. The wingspan is a common guideline of plane size, so let's use that. If the existing wingspan is 60", and you want it to be 90", then you divide 60 into 90 and multiply by 100 (for percent), getting 150, which is 150%.

Dr.1
Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 PM
kbkranz

Sorry:
After looking at your reply I realized my question didn't make much sense. I was thinking I could take plans of lets say a 40 size Ultra Sport or Super Sportster and build say a 60 size Ultra Sport or Super Sportster. I wondered how much to enlarge and if they changed anything or just made it larger.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another simple way to do it would be to look at a plane that comes in both a 40 and 60 size (Assuming that you are looking to enlarge it to a 60 size) See what the two wingspans are, and enlarge your plans accordingly.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Dr1Driver

Now that's a question that can be properly answered. When an existing design is scaled up or down, the wood sizes often do not change accordingly. For example, if the original plane had a 1/4" square wing spar, and you enlarge the plans 200%, the new wing spar wouldn't be 1/2" square. If it originally had 1/16" sheeting, the sheeting wouldn't enlarge to 1/8". The best way to figure the wood sizes is to look at an existing similar design and go from there.

Dr.1
Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM
kbkranz

Let me see if I've got this right.
40 size wingspan is 55
60 size wingspan is 62
( 62/ 55) * 100 = 112.727272 etc.
Should I round up to 113% or stay with 112 or is it enough to worry about?

Thanks Kev
Old 12-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Dr1Driver

Don't worry about the fractions.

Dr.1