Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Another quick TurboCAD question.

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Another quick TurboCAD question.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:58 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another quick TurboCAD question.

Thanks for the help on my last question.

I have a rib outline that represents the full-size airfoil. In the wing I am designing, I (naturally) have center-section sheeting. I want to create a rib pattern that is, say 1/16" smaller to accommodate this sheeting. I tried scaling the rib, but the distances become uneven; it doesn't scale the same distance all the way around the shape.

I'm sure there is a super fast tool in TurboCAD that will create a copy of a line or curve in this way.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:16 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Another quick TurboCAD question.

This is a bit of cheat but it works slick as heck. Use the multiple element double line tool, set the properties to .063 and set the placement option to either right or left (center is the default). Now use the snap SEKE's to place short segments along your curved line with the segments being shorter, as little as 1/16 to as high as 3/8 inch depending on the amount of curve in the line for each area. Yes, if you expand the scale you'll find that the sheeting actually is short straight line segments that "take a shortcut" rather than follow the curve exactly but the differences are very, very small if you use lots of points spaced close together and the little gaps you see are hidden by the width of the printed line.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:16 PM
rainedave

Thanks BMatthews. I think I follow. I set the double line to creat the 2nd line 1/16" to the right. I then set Snap to "Nearest on Graphic" (so I guess I used the "N" SEKE). I traced short segment lines over the existing rib outline, thus creating a second line to the right of it exactly 1/16" away. Anyway, it worked. Thanks!

Interestingly, I found a roundabout way to achieve an inner line at a constant distance. I grouped all the lines of the rib and scaled the LE and TE inward towards the center so that the rib - now greatly distorted - fit inside a square so that height and length (chord and thickness) were the same and the center point of the rib remained unmoved in the center of the square. I then held down the Shift key and used a corner handle to scale the entire rib 1/16" smaller on all four sides. Then I stretched the LE and TE back out to their original lengths, minus 1/16" and Viola! the rib was now 1/16" smaller all the way around. By scaling a squared object I seem to have avoided the distortion caused by scaling a rectangular one. In other words, when scaling a square with the shift key depressed, all four sides are shortened or lengthened exactly the same amount.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, that'll work too but it's a lot of steps and probably still not evenly spaced unless it worked this time by accident. Try using the measurement tool to check it in a few spots just for giggles.

To learn more about the double line modes try making some double line elements that are snapped to the grid (G seke) and then change the selector tool over to the node edit tool or highligth the line samples and then right click and select the "node edit" option. Now you'll see all the nodes in the double polylines and where the nodes are. Move a few of the nodes around to see how it works. This node edit feature is great for fine tuning just about any sort of line element that is more than a single line. I use it almost constantly for editing arcs polylines and curves.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:06 AM
rainedave

That's cool BMatthews. I'm messing around with the "Multiline" tool right now. I see that I can explode it and have nodes on both lines. Thanks.