Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Ultrasport 1500

Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 PM
ocasionalpirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrasport 1500

Ok here is my Idea. I have asked about converting a ryobi over to glow for more power and also have asked about building from foam. This is my Idea for one of the projects I will have when I redeploy home. I have a UltraSport 1000 in the box. I have a ryobi mostly converted. I will finish it when I get to my dads laythe. What size would be good for my Ryobi. What percent should I enlarge the model by. It will be foam insulation, and Im gonna build as light as possiable. it is a 31cc engine, I have some porting work done and the cylinder has been decked down a lil bit for more compression. It runs great.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ultrasport 1500

The Ultra Sport 1000 usually builds heavy. I forget the weight of mine, but I used a Moki 1.8 (30cc) with a tuned pipe and it flew great. I would say that with a Ryobi 31cc you'd be under powered unless you just want to fly around.

The problem with the small gas engines, especially the conversions is the power-to-weight ratio. They don't put out as much power as a corresponding size glow fuel engine, one, because a methanol based fuel just gives more power, and two, they weren't designed for top end the way an RC glow engine is. The lighter, purpose build gas engines like the ZDZs are excellent, but I have seen ZDZ 40s, a very light gas engine, in a 72 inch plane and this was adequate power.