Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

with Corrogated Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 04:57 AM
RossAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default with Corrogated Plastic

After recent elections I've come upon several square yards of signboard material, or corrogated plastic as some prefer to call it. I was just wondering about the aspect of building with this material, it seems light and strong. I'm interested in building a small 280 type parkflyer with moderate aerobatic capabilities. Has this been done befor? Do I have to be the first? Do you have any suggestions? (I am a die hard, so don't try to persuade me to use balsa or foam or anything. If a guy can make a gasser out of coke cans, then I can make an electric out of this stuff!)
Old 11-19-2002, 06:43 AM
Uncle Heinkel

RossAL,

It's called "Coroplast" round these parts. We buy it in big sheets at a big art supply center here in Honolulu. We use 2 mil and 4 mil thicknesses. It costs about $12 per sheet but you can make 4 or five combat planes from one sheet of each. Comes in lots of colors.

It's a natural for combat planes as it's very strong and easily repaired. Most of our planes are glued with contact cement although CA works in some applications. Most of the normal glues we use don't stick to it very well.

Haven't seen any electric plans but I'd be willing to bet there are some out there in cyberspace........

H.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:14 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Although the stuff feels light in your hands it adds up in weight pretty quickly if all you're going to have spinning the prop is a little 280.

If you don't have one I really suggest getting an inexpensive diet scale. Then weigh a sign and work out how many square inches you'll need for a model. Using the weight and area from the raw sign you can calculate how heavy the basic airframe would be. Then it's your call after that.

Just MHO but once you see the numbers I think you'll go back to balsa or foam pretty quick. The 2 mm stuff wouldn't be bad but most of the larger election signs use the 4 mm from what I've seen around here.

But if you want aerobatic flight with Corroplast what about a slimer Pizza Box Flyer? If you haven't seen this info check out the FunFly forum.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:12 AM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default coroplast experts

www.spadtothebone.com

Phil in Austin
Old 11-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Tattoo

Thanks phuffstatler, you beat me to it!

There is a web site devoted to electric coroplast building here:
http://www.e-spad.org/
Old 11-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Dsegal

There is a lot of information at www.ezonemag.com/ and click on Discussion and then search for "Coroplast".

Dave Segal