Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Aileron Torque Rods

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 02:41 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Torque Rods

Torque rods are found on many ARFs and trainer type airplanes. They are internal and don't hang out from the plane. Why don't builders of scale planes use torque rods for aileron and flap controls?
Old 11-19-2002, 04:20 PM
Dsegal

Torque wires on sport models work nicely as the ailerons are strip-type and extend all the way to the fuselage. Scale planes have barndoor ailerons and it would add a lot of weight to run a rigid torque wire plus its support bearing all the way to the tip. Much simpler to use two servos with direct linkage it seems to me. Also, the use of more than servo allows for other functions such as aileron differential and elevons.

Dave Segal
Old 11-19-2002, 06:28 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

you can now get fully internal servo linkage for that type of wing. its basicaly a 45 degree bent rod that the servo turns giving up and down for the aileron with a slot in it
Old 11-19-2002, 09:06 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Default torque rods

With the small servos available today, you could use two servos, one for each torque rod. I don't think the extended length of the wire will be significant even for barn door ailerons. Unless I am missing something, I cna't see why they aren't used more often. I have seen details on the internal drive systems now on the market and they appear to require precise installation for proper performance. Oh well, just a question from an intermediate builder.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:16 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

torque rods also do exactly what they say on the tin. in the same way torsion suspention works on cars these rods can twist leading to flutter problems outboard. to get the most direct and least slop in a system modelers use seperate servos in the wing directly connected to the surface via a horn, this also elimates the slop caused by the torque rod being burried in the aileron which as to be free to move in some instances for top hinging. having a rod burried for more than a couple of inches of wing could also be a problem over time for binding.