Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

I Need Lite Ply in 8' Sheets--Where to Get?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

I Need Lite Ply in 8' Sheets--Where to Get?

Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I Need Lite Ply in 8' Sheets--Where to Get?

Where can I get 1/8" lite ply in 8' sheets?

Want to scratch a giant Stick type airplane. Need fuselage sides about 60--65" long. Would like to use lite ply.

Can't find anything over 48" at the standard suppliers. Lone Star, B USA, National, etc...

Used to be a shop in Broomfield, CO. that supplied 4x8 sheets of lite ply. This is where Mike Hurley got the ply for his Project Extra in the MA magazine. Can't find their number or a link anywhere.

Any other places to get what I need?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
flybug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I Need Lite Ply in 8' Sheets--Where to Get?

Maybe the crowd over at RCSCALEBUILDER.COM can answer that one they are always crafting big heavy birds
Old 01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Brent G
My Feedback: (5)

I get mine from Dealer imports Inc in Huntersville NC. I don't know how much freight you want to pay. It is very reasonable. I pay $16.00 for a 4'x8' sheet, $30.00 for a 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" light ply. Their ph no is 1-800-521-6164

Brent
Old 01-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Rcpilot

Thanks guys
Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

I've heard of guys using hollow core doorskins, but I don't know where you get them.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Try calling some larger lumber suppliers and ask for 1/8" "bending poplar" in 4x8 or 8x4 (direction of grain, for bending purposes).

Cabinet shops use this as well as many finish carpentry items.

I got mine for around $16 to $18 here in the LA area.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Rcpilot

I found a guy in Pookadoo, Missouri.

www.woodnshop.com

Look under hardwoods. He's got postings for poplar and birch as well as lauan.

I ordered a 4x8 sheet of lauan and had it cut into 12" strips. Delivered to my door for $24. Not too bad. Seams a bit pricey for a piece of 1/8" ply--but I thinnk about how expensive the whole plane will be when it's done. The wood is the cheap part. 1/2 of the price was shipping.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used door skins available at the local lumber stores, for years.
Depending on the car I have at the time, I might take a boxcutter along with me to cut the 4'x8' sheet to fit the car.
A slice down the middle on the 8' length usually lets the two pieces fit inside.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:38 PM
BWooster

Up here the local finishing plywood shop has Russian Baltic birch lite ply in 1500mm square panels. I us 2.5 mm as 1/8". Very nice material. FYI.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:10 PM
aero nut

Guys' this is my cent's worth!!! Door skin ply and Luan is about twice as heavy as lite ply; lite ply is also known as Italian Poplar or bending Poplar. I would stick with lite ply (Italian or Bending Poplar as you wish to call it) in order to keep the weight as low as possible.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Brent G
My Feedback: (5)

Is that 2.5mm ply just a little thinner than 1/8"? I have been trying to find the light ply that they are using in all these light arfs like the extreme flight, QQ and ultra rc giles. The ply they are using is aroune 2/32.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:36 AM
BWooster

ORIGINAL: Brent G

Is that 2.5mm ply just a little thinner than 1/8"? I have been trying to find the light ply that they are using in all these light arfs like the extreme flight, QQ and ultra rc giles. The ply they are using is aroune 2/32.
Is that 2.5mm ply just a little thinner than 1/8"?
Yes. 2.5 mm is about 1/10".
Old 01-10-2006, 07:58 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Some years ago, I read an excerpt from an article that made more sense to me most articles ever do.,

One item the author made a comment on was "DON'T THROW AWAY ANYTHING"

and the other was basically, -- if you can't find a lite ply - MAKE IT yourself!

Take a 1/32" balsa and epoxy -- going cross grain -- with the next sheet of the same thickness, --- and do it a third time. again, turn the grain again (back to the same as the starting sheet)

It'll be a LOT cheaper and just as usefull - if not more.

Use a 30 minute epoxy to allow the adhesive to soak into your product.

----

As far as the first comment is concerned, --- I read it, stopped. read it again , and it really sunk in.

I have bags and bags (zip loc) filled with all kinds od sizes of left-over balsa.

When I throw away any old appliance - take it apart - who knows, you just might find some usefull contact switches, rectifiers, diodes - the list goes on,

I'll bet I've save hundreds of dollars - just in gas -- not having to go out and BUY just that ONE thing!

SAVE up lots of larger pieces of balsa and laminate them up . You'll be surprised at what you have. - even potentially

marwen
Old 11-08-2006, 01:31 AM
waross

I know this is an old thread but if someone comes across it here is the real deal on "Lite Ply". I was a wood technology major in college and was in sales for the major importer of Finland Birch (thin ply) Plywood and other "exotics" such as lite ply which is really itailian poplar. The largest panel of thin (6mm or less) is a 60" by 60". The Itailian Poplar comes in standard 4' by 8 ' sheets. The company was an importer and as such did not retail the stuff on a regular basis; however every once in a while they were willign to sell 3 sheets or more to a regular joe. My main customers back then were all the r/c airplane manufacturers...It was great to be in the hobby then. Anyway teh Name of the company is:

Plywood and Door Manufacturers Corporation - Midwest
7701 West 79th Street
Bridgeview, IL 60455
708-594-5530

That contact information is 15 years old but I dont doubt they are still there....
Old 11-26-2006, 03:49 PM
bear cub
My Feedback: (7)

If you can't find 4 x 8 sheets of lite ply, Baltic birch comes in 5' x 5' dimensions and can be cut to the approximate width needed and then an 8:1 scarf joint can be used to obtain the length that you require. A scarf joint is very elementary operation compared to designing and or building an airplane. Good Luck on your project: Chet
Old 01-24-2007, 10:31 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

A few years back,at the USRA races at Galvestan I picked up some samples and a brochure on Australian Hoop pine. It was very light and strong, yet a 4x8 sheet could be rolled up into a small 12'' circle for shipping. It was imported into the port at Houston as I recall. wish I had not lost the info on were to get it !! Dale