Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

where can i get free cad software

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

where can i get free cad software

Old 01-06-2006, 03:43 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can i get free cad software

can i get free cad software anywhere on the internet? it doesnt have to be anything fancy, just what i need to design a plane, i have been doing it the old paper and pencil and a ruler way and have built/flown many scratch builts and i am interested in learning how to use cad software, is it hard to use? any information would be appriciated.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:21 PM
mikeperik

Default RE: where can i get free cad software

I know you can use QCad on Linux for free...

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
Old 01-06-2006, 09:51 PM
DICKEYBIRD

http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php#TurboCADLE

Free download, great 2D CAD, manuals downloadable .pdf as well...can't beat it!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

"just design a plane"????

I'd start with one or three simple projects first in order to learn how to best use the CAD. And check the FAQ's for hints on using and learning the general CAD steps.

Check the links sticky as well. Some options for free CAD there.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:06 AM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

I just bought TurboCAD version 9.2 deluxe today on amazon for three dollars and five shipping.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:58 AM
skater_719

what i meant by just design a plane was that i dont need any fancy features that would just make thing more complicated. thanks for all the information.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:23 PM
BMatthews

ORIGINAL: skater_719

what i meant by just design a plane was that i dont need any fancy features that would just make thing more complicated. thanks for all the information.
I know where you're at right now as when I first started with CAD I was in the same boat. I just wanted something simple that would let me lay down lines where I wanted them with as little fuss as I could manage. What I found was that the low end free stuff was all very limiting to the point of being frustrating..... VERY frustrating. Then I found my beloved TurboCAD and the clouds parted, the sun shone, birds began to sing and World Peace was obviously just around the corner.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is that you need something that provides the tools you want WHEN you want them without the program getting in the way any more than is neccessary. None of the freebies I found would do that in anything other than a very crude and cumbersome way.

It may have a bunch of fancy stuff but you don't need to use that. Just pick out the bits you want. But even that requires a fairly intense learning period. For a sort of guide check out my Baker's Dozen TurboCAD hints in the CAD FAQ stickied at the top of this forum listings. It's a list of the tools that I found to be the most important to learn in order to do fully functional drawings quickly and painlessly.

Bear in mind too that in the end you need to print the plans in order to build the model. A lot of the freebies do not support tile printing so you need to take the file in the proper format to a commercial place with a plotter for printing.

Anyhow give them a try. The practice and problems you run into will provide some excellent experience.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:42 PM
skater_719

well i downloaded turbocad le and it is pretty much the same as paper except much quicker and a bit more acurate then the way i usually do everything, but i am really looking for something 3d instead of 2d, but its a start, so would the better turbocad be a good choice and how much would i be looking at? thanks a lot everyone
Old 01-07-2006, 10:23 PM
BMatthews

TurboCAD 9 and up have lovely 3D tools and someone on this board just found it on ebay for $3. The mail was more than the program. But that was a steal. Typical price is in the $10 to $20 range for the older ver. 9 or 10.